A Proven Fact



Have you ever seen those old movies/pictures of the women who spent their day in a dress, high heels, and wore pearls as they cleaned the house? You know, the women who looked glorious as they did every task?

Well, you may well remember that those same women had a tendency to be famous for something else.

Every time they saw a mouse in their house, they would grab their skirts and leap onto the nearest chair. Screaming.

I always laughed at that whenever I saw it. "No one does that." I argued. "How archaic." Right? Wrong.

Recently, a mouse (or possibly mice) have taken up residence in the walls of our basement apartment. Don't ask me how. I have no idea. All I know is that I had a heck of a time convincing my husband I heard scratching coming from the hall closet a week or so ago. Especially because a few days later, he cleared every single object from the closet and found nothing.

Days went by without any sign and I started to relax. I was content to be considered a loon who heard scratching noises instead of a woman who has actual mice in her house. Well, the Lord has a sense of humor, of that I'm sure.

I was crawling into bed last night at about 2:45 am. I laid my head of my pillow and thought I heard the familiar scratching noise right behind my head. I froze. I don't even think I blinked. I was waiting to hear it again so I could text my husband (who was at work) and say, "HA! I TOLD you so!" I didn't hear anything, so I began to relax. That was until I heard squeaking.

I think I jumped a foot off the bed.

"I couldn't have just heard squeaking. That's too much. We don't actually have mice in our walls, do we?! Come on..." Cue more scratching. Then came some scurrying. The mouse must have been pissed at something or someone because he sure had a lot to squeak about. It is no minor miracle I ever fell asleep last night. I kept waiting for a mouse to fall onto the bed from the ledge above my head.

I kept visualizing things like that, which I'll be the first to tell you, did NOT aide me in going to sleep. I pictured grabbing the box of rice out of the pantry and having half of it spill onto the floor from the little hole that had been chewed in the bottom.

Then, if that wasn't bad enough, I imagined that the mouse was still in the box. Suffice it to say that in my mind, I dropped that box faster than you thought humanly possible and immediately dove for the kitchen chair like an Olympic pole vaulter.

So I'm here to tell you that the women I once scoffed at for being so chicken as to stand on a chair to avoid a mouse were wise beyond my years. I might as well start cleaning the house in pantyhose because I'm more like these iconic women than I realized. :)

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness! Squeaking?! Once upon a time, when I was like 11, I reached my hand into the open bag of cat food in our kitchen for the bowl that was in it for scooping. As I brought the bowl out and mouse jumped out of it and ran faster than you'd think was possible (kinda like those centipedes ya know?) under the refrigerator. I FREAKED OUT! I didn't waste time with the kitchen chairs. I ran the other direction, burst into my parents' bedroom and started screaming about what had happened. I think I'm still traumatized. Every time I went to feed my cat after that I would tense every muscle in my body, squint my eyes and hold my breath. Maybe I should have gotten counseling. Needless to say, I hope you don't have your rice imaginations come true... or your bed invasion ones either for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Why have I not heard that story before?!? That's hilarious, as well as traumatizing... I don't blame you for being scarred for life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was first married, and extra young and cute (like you), my husband and I lived in a tiny inlaw apartment attached to our pastor's house in the woods.

    We spotted a mouse. I would literally not step on the floor. I made Jack piggy back me from the couch to the bathroom where I stood on the toilet to brush my teeth, then the toilet to the bed so I could sleep.

    It was ridiculous. I don't care. I hate wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHAHAHA! That's hilarious! If it makes you feel any better, I wont go within 20 feet of a spider if my husband is home-- I'll DEFINITELY make him stop whatever he's doing and come squish it for me. In fact, you should have seen me last night when I was trapped in the bathroom with a moth that I swear was gonna eat me. It wasn't a pretty sight. My husband came in and just flicked it instead of squishing it and it flew away and is now lost in our apt... waiting to strike when I least expect it, I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts