My Retro Attempt {An Apron Tutorial}


Hello, everyone! I wish I had something more interesting to post about. . . but, alas, I must leave you with another sewing project.

I know, I know.

I'm crazy.

I could have told you that.

But every now and again I get a wild hair and have to sew a billion-zillion things. I found some darling fabric at JoAnn a while back for clearance {stay away from that section if you value your pocketbook!} and I was waiting for the right project to use it.

Well, I'll talk about exactly why in a future post, but I knew I needed a new apron. . . because the 9 or 10 I already have aren't sufficient. Clearly.

I really wanted to go back a ways in time and make an apron that gave a nod to past women who did so much to keep the clock of humanity ticking. Besides, I wanted to try a new pattern/style. Unfortunately, I'm cheap and didn't want to purchase a pattern. So, I decided to try my hand at free-stylin' a hybrid between this fella from "Busy Bee Quilt Designs" HERE:


 photo p-lillyapron_zps65ce289b.jpg


And this guy from "The Empty Nest" HERE:


 photo DSC00077side_zps0ad560d0.jpg


I knew what I wanted, but getting it to look identical without following a tutorial has never been my strong suit. . . but we've talked about that before. Recently. Because I'm allergic to posting about anything but sewing these days.

And before we move on, I just have to say that I'm NOT VERY GOOD at writing tutorials. I lack the seamstress skills and photography skills to really give you an idea of what I'm talking about. So please forgive and forget me if this confuses you like none other. 

. . . .

I did my best and came up with these measurements:

-- 39" x 9" for the bust strap ( Measure your bust line and add an inch or two. I was hoping for a bow like in the "Empty Nest" picture, but 39" is far insufficient for a bow and it's all I had to work with}

-- (2) 19" x 5 1/2" strips for the shoulder straps

-- 42" x 21 1/2" for the main piece {measure from your bust line down to where you want the apron to stop at your thigh. The reason this piece is cut larger than your bust strap is because you will want to gather the fabric to create. . . um, gathers. . .  like in the "Busy Bee" picture}

-- (2) 7" x 5" for the pockets

-- bias tape/ribbon (optional)

. . . .

Now, let me just say that I had no idea how to close the apron in the back given the amount of fabric I had to use {I had 1 yard of the main fabric and some scraps for the straps and pockets}. So I got creative. . . and I would suggest doing a few things differently.

 photo Apron_zps48b9ab08.png


I cut the bust strap-thingy as long as I could because I hoped it would tie in a bow. It didn't. :) But I made my mistake into a "fancy fix-it" and pretended like I did it on purpose. I overlapped the strap and then sewed it together, adding a couple buttons for looks.

 photo ApronBack_zpsa1a435f0.png


Now, if you're like me, you look at the back and think, "Well, I would make it more snug so it doesn't bulge out like that." I thought of that, too. The problem I ran into making the bust any tighter was it became a pain in the bum to get on and off. But if you have magical powers, make it more snug! And pass some powers my way, if you please.

It's hard to see because I'm wearing a brown shirt, but you can notice some bias-tape-turned-ribbon right around my toosh area. I added that because I felt like the apron would be blowing in the breeze if I didn't have some type of closure down there. Next time, I would move the ribbon a couple inches lower in hopes that it wouldn't make the fabric bunch up/poke out between the bust strap and the ties. Make sense? I don't know if that would help, but it seems like it would.

Basically, what you do is fold your bust piece in half with wrong sides together and sew a straight line down the side (lengthwise) and one end, leaving one end open to turn it right side out.

Then sew your straps the same way.

After that, do your best guessing at making even gathers with your main fabric and begin pinning that bad boy to your bust strap, with right sides together like so:

 photo RightsidesTogeter_zpsd2b6cc30.png


This bust strap you see sticking out iss because, if you remember, I overlapped it in the back. If you want it to meet in the middle instead of the side, start pinning your main piece on accordingly. And don't forget-- "try it on" often and change it before you start sewing. Don't just assume you're right! I think I tried this thing on 20 times before it was finished.

 photo Gather_zps201c64ab.png

I gathered every couple inches or so {I just eyeballed it}. I would suggest gathering more if you have enough fabric. Again, gather it together and then see if it fits around you. Fix it by spacing out your gathers (or making them closer) if need be.

 photo GathersClose-up_zps821fb777.png 

After sewing those two pieces together along the top (where your gathers are), I would suggest sewing on your straps. I just held the apron around me with my armpits and placed my straps where I wanted them, and then pinned them in place. They don't have to be perfect; no one can tell as long as their close enough!

I sewed them on at the very top of my bust strap (in the front and back) with coordinating thread. I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but I just don't know what it is. :)

After that, you'll want to sew your bust strap together so that your apron forms a circle instead of a flat piece of fabric. Depending on where you pinned on your main fabric/how much overlap you have/how tight you want it to fit, pin it together and sew along the three sides of the rectangle to secure it to the main piece of fabric. 

Next comes your bias tape and ribbon/bias tape ties. If you use bias tape for your ties, make sure you sew the sides and ends together so it resembles ribbon instead of bias tape {if that makes any sense whatsoever}. Pin the ties in the place where you want them and then pin the bias tape around the bottom half (under the bust strap), starting in the back. Your bias tape should overlap your ties to make it look nice and finished.

Next comes the pockets. After cutting out the two pieces, iron a 1/4" around each side (folding the right side back toward the wrong side). Fold over another 1/4" doubling for the top of the pocket (to give it a more finished appearance). Sew two seams along the top section to hold down the double fold. Sorry I don't have any pictures to illustrate this part! I was flying by the seat of my pants here.

Then pin your pockets where you want them (I placed the middle of my pocket approximately 6" from each side after laying the fabric flat as if it was being worn). Like so:

 
 photo Pockets_zps91734511.png

I would suggest measuring from the bottom of your apron to the bottom of each pocket to make sure they are even. Unless you want lopsided pockets. In which case, more power to ya.

I feel like I'm forgetting a major step, but I can't think of what it is.

Oh yeah. Then I used a contrasting thread color (green) to baste the edges of the bust strap and both of the shoulder straps. That will keep the fabric from folding in on itself after being washed. If you need some help knowing how or you'd just like to know what in the devil I'm talking about, click HERE.

. . . .

Now all I need is something to bake! But I suppose I'll just wear it around the house like a weirdo instead. Less dishes that way.

Now go make yourself a cute apron! You deserve it. And trust me-- you'll feel like a new woman in one! It's kinda like buying yourself a new pair of shoes . . . but cheaper.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Comments

  1. Darling, that apron is the cutest! I love your button idea in the back, I don't know how you would ever tie a bow that high up on your back anyway. The buttons are much cuter. The length is really good too. The pockets in the offsetting material are perfect. How you can put those different fabrics together and make it look good I'll never know. You have plenty of room for the new baby too. Good job!
    Love you,
    Ma

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts