The Profoundly Simple

Today was fast and testimony meeting in church. I always love this time of month because I get to hear everyone's wonderful testimonies of this gospel. I grow closer to them, and I grow closer to the Lord each time I attend.

I'll be the first to admit, however, that some testimony meetings are better than others. I'm not sure why, exactly. . . it must have something to do with the current status of my heart and attitude. If I'm a grouch and sit on the bench wishing away the hours until I can go home and stuff my face with food, it's likely that the meeting will hold very little inspiration. I've been there before. I thought I was going to be there again today. But before walking out the door, I decided I was going to have a good day. Sure, I was a little bit tired (9:00 church comes early!) and I was a little bit hungry (I don't do well without food. . . just ask the Cadburry eggs), but I knew that what I was doing was in accordance with what Heavenly Father asked me to do. And by golly, I was gonna do it and be happy about it.

And the Lord blessed me for my efforts.

Everyone is invited to bear their testimony, regardless of their age. So our ward usually has about 10 or so little kids trample up to the podium to bear a simple, 25 second (max!) testimony. I love it! Their testimonies are so simple and sweet, and yet you can feel the Spirit nearly bowl you over in your seat. Of course, you almost need a translator to understand them because they either A) swallow the microphone and talk so loud your ears start to ring, or B) stand as far away from the microphone as humanly possible as if it was going to bite their nose and never let go. And don't forget that 98% of the little kids talk at the speed of light. But one testimony in particular stood out to me today.

It came from a little boy no older than 8 years of age. After the initial common hiccup of saying he would like to "burry" his testimony instead of "bear" his testimony, he went on to say things like how he knows his family loves him and that President Thomas S. Monson is a prophet. Then he said, "And I know the church is real." He closed it with a hurried "in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." and booked it back to his seat.

At first, I just smiled at his cute mix-up of words. I'm certain he meant to say "And I know the church is true" instead of "real". But then the more I thought about it, the more profound that word became. Like that darling little boy, I know the church is real.

I know that Heavenly Father is real. His son, Jesus Christ, really did come to this earth, and he really did pay for our sins. Joseph Smith really was the prophet of the restoration. I know the power of the Atonement is real. Sure shootin'.  Heavenly Father established a plan before the world was created that, if followed, would enable us to return to live with him forever. And if that wasn't good enough, the plan allowed for us to live with our families. Fur real, folks.

And that is a beautiful thing.

Comments

Popular Posts