A New Year and Its Resolutions

A moment ago, I was thinking to myself, "Self? You should think up some official 'New Years Resolutions' and post them to the blog. That way people can hold you to them and publicly mock you should you fail." And so I began brainstorming some resolutions that I'd like to accomplish in good ol' 2012.

Among things like "Don't drop the kid on the floor" and "Avoid losing the dog" were things like "Be more patient" and "Keep the house clean". And then it dawned on me {Quick, people! Is that the right kind of 'dawn'?? Who knows. Not me, apparently.} -- How does a person measure a goal like "Be more patient"? It's a silly goal in that respect because it's practically impossible to consistently measure. If I avoid running people off the road one day does that mean I'm more patient or does it merely mean that no dumb drivers happened to get in my way? Food for thought.

And we all know how much I like food.

So I did some more thinking. And this is what I came up with.

Instead of something broad like "Be more patient", I'm going to tack on some specifics. One thing that is testing my patience at this current kernel in time is our search/wait for a home of our own. And so, alas, I'm resolute-ing (totally not a real word but I'm using it anyway) to keep my cool and not become a frenzied maniac when it comes to house-hunting. I also vow not to drive by my 'favorite' house like a stalker just to see if it's still for sale. Heaven knows I'll only give myself an ulcer, especially because we just found out that they've knocked $4,900 off the asking price. {And I therefore find myself sorely tempted to hide out in the bushes and pelt anyone who drives by to look at the house with a paintball gun. THAT'LL teach 'em. ;) But, uh, I'm not going to do that because I'm being patient. See? This resolution thing is paying off already.}



I'm also resolute-ing to not let the pterodactyl crying of Hannah get under my skin. She's not doing it to drive me batty, after all. She's crying for a reason, albeit impossible to decode sometimes. . . particularly late at night when sleep is slim. For goodness sake, time is flying by already! She's 4 weeks old today! The first 2 weeks were definitely the longest, and now it seems like time is speeding up again. If I'm going to enjoy every moment with her, I'm going to have to enjoy the poopy moments as well. Right? :D



Here are some of my other resolutions. Don't laugh at them. :) They're not very cool or classy or fancy-pantsy, but they're things that are important to me. Some of you will likely think them "old school" or like I'm demeaning myself by making them a priority. But what you don't understand is that by fulfilling these resolutions, I find happiness and contentment. Trust me. If I didn't, I wouldn't do them. Capeesh? Alrighty then.

- concentrate on the needs of my husband and fulfilling them.
- support said husband in his pursuits.
- keep the house tidy and neat so as to foster an atmosphere of peace and order.
- invite the Spirit into our home by consistent personal and family scripture study and prayer.
- read all of the Ensign each month, study it, and apply at least one ;new' principle into my daily routine.
- be more thrifty spending money on groceries (or in other words, avoid blowing so much money on gummy worms)
- attempt to cook a wholesome meal once a day and avoid daydreaming of eating at Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse, and Cafe Rio.
- play in at least 2 symphony concerts.
- have at least a 90% record for personal visiting teaching visits.
- offer some sort of tangible service for at least one person a week (even if it's just a quick note or a plate of cookies to let them know I was thinking of them). {For the record, I'm not implying that only tangible service counts here, but I'm merely trying to point out that I need to challenge myself and this is a good way to do it!}
- go on as many fishing/camping trips as feasible with a less-than-one year old baby.
- Foster moments that will become memories.
- Enjoy the little moments that really matter.

My left arm is currently becoming really rather numb because it is propping up Hannah on my chest as well as typing nd so blood flow is restricted. Not good. So I must leave you. Also, Zoe is currently trying to chew through the metal bars on the base of my rocking chair. What an intelligent dog we have. Not to mention that my resolution of 'cooking dinner' is calling my name and mocking me from the kitchen. . . I have to go shut it up now and show it who's boss.

Wish me luck.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts