Behold The Wisdom of The Fitted Sheet

I was being dutiful this afternoon and folding laundry, doing dishes, sweeping the entryway stairs that never stay clean, pretending to clean the bathroom until I realized we have no sponges... you know, the usual.

My epiphany came while I trying to fold the queen sized fitted sheet and getting my butt kicked. I let out a warbled cry of frustration as I was sure the sheet was going to engulf me and never let me free at any second... and I thought to myself "Why in the world does anyone even have queen sized sheets?!" (cue another tussle with the fitted sheet from you-know-where) "I swear I didn't always have such a problem folding sheets..."

And then it donned on me.

Of course I didn't always have such a hard time folding sheets. I didn't start out folding those that resemble the size of a small country. And while I'll be the first to admit that it takes me about 10 minutes to fold each sheet (excluding the pillowcases... I'm an old pro at them!) and the assistance of my mattress to act as my folding-partner, I AM getting better.

Slowly but surely.

Now, I'll bet you didn't know that the fitted sheet on your bed right now has more things in common with you life than you care to admit.

Let me explain. If I can.

The Lord teaches us slowly at first. He doesn't expect us to be able to tackle the big things without first being able to overcome the little things. Does that make sense?

When you're teaching your little girl to bake, you don't show her how to make a cheesecake from scratch or a 7 tier cake with drizzled hazelnut frosting. You start with thumbprint cookies and muddy buddies. You don't take your 4 year old son to the major league baseball field and tell him to smack one to left field. You plop him in front of a tee and tell him to have at it with his T-Ball team.

The Lord does the same thing for His children. You might feel (as I sure do) that you're permanently stuck on the Lord's "T-Ball team", but, hey. At least we're on a team. :) hahaha! Just kidding. But just remember that this life is not a race. No one is comparing your life and its accomplishments to their own, and if they ARE, they're the ones on the T-Ball team. They're the ones who are trying to bake a 7 tier cake with a cookie recipe.

We all need to remember to take it one step at a time. Have some faith in Heavenly Father! He knows what He's doing... I promise. And don't give up on trying to fold that silly sheet... whatever kind it is ;)

Comments

Popular Posts