Wisdom of 1 Year

Late last night I was laying in bed, unable to sleep. That's pretty common for me these days. Something about sheet music flying through my head and I have to 'practice' it with my brain.

I'm crazy.

But you already knew that.

I eventually moved on to thinking about other things and it occurred to me that it was the 1-year anniversary of when I found out I was pregnant. That got me to pondering on how much has changed and what I've learned over the past 365 days.



- During your first trimester, don't wait until you're hungry to eat. Just snack on little things in-between meals. In my case, the second I realized I was hungry, I also realized I was nauseated. Baaaad deal. 

- Never underestimate the use of a Bella Band. I did, and it really stunk to have people comment on how I could no longer do up my zipper.

- Don't compare your belly to that of other ladies; pregnant or otherwise. ESPECIALLY after you've had your little one. Your body isn't going to be the same as it was before. Don't expect it to be.

- Don't hyperventilate during your contractions. Your hands and feet will go numb, and that's not recommended. Just breathe! 

- Whatever you choose to do to bring your baby into the world is right. Epidural? Right. Natural? Right. At home? Right. In the hospital? Right. It's YOUR baby. It's YOUR body. Take in all the information you can, make an educated decision, and go for it. 

- The sleep deprivation will fade and become a distant memory. I promise. You won't believe me when you're home with your newborn that first week and you'll think seriously about coming after me with a paintball gun. But I speak the truth.

- The crying WILL stop. One day. Like, when they're 18. But in the meantime, the immediate crying from your beet-red infant will subside. Try not to put your kid on the front porch until then, however.

- You're not alone. There are other parents/mothers/pregnant women going through the same thing somewhere. Ask for help or for a listening ear if you need it. Others who have run the gauntlet before you will be more than willing to help out. 

- Breastfeeding is not as they say in the books. Don't listen to them. :) If it helps, you can throw the book across the room. But stick it out for as long as you can, whether that is one week or one year. 

- If you choose to bottle feed, you're not a bad mom. And, hey, if we are bad moms, then we can start a club. We can have jackets and matching shoelaces.

- Your kid doesn't need 485 outfits. You'll just have to pre-treat, wash, fold, and put away 485 outfits. Besides, they grow out of them so fast, you'll hardly scratch the surface. Less is more, my friends

- You'll drive yourself absolutely batty trying to do every little thing right according to "Them". You know, all those smart people who write the books, all the professionals, and all the scientists. They have reasons for giving advice, and a lot of it is very good advice. But if your kid needs a blanket in the crib to cuddle with, then for goodness sake, don't lay awake in bed worrying that they're going to suffocate every 5 seconds. Do what is best for your child and leave it at that. 

- Changing the crib mattress sheet is a pain in the butt. It always will be.

- Your kid will probably try to shoot poisonous daggers from their eyes at you and strangle you during tummy time. Eh. It's okay. Until they learn to lift their head up and eventually roll over, they'll have a hard time catching you.

- Having a kid is hard. Don't forget to take time for yourself and for your spouse. You'll both need it. 

- Try to enjoy the time you have with them. Before too long, you'll go to visit a friend who just had a baby and you'll mumble those famous words: "Was my baby really that little once?"


Comments

  1. I loved this post :) Your little girl is super adorabe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, until now, I was secretly stalking your blog. I LOVE reading your posts! Especially this one. You're just a few months ahead of me, I think, so it's fun to hear your advice. It's like you just wrote this for me. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though this is my second kid, I still lay in bed worrying about the cuddle blanket suffocation thing but every time I check in on my guys the blanket is safely below their chin. it can be hard not to feel paranoid about it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All words of truth. Keep truckin', girl! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts