Must or Bust : Easter!


{Brace yourselves. This post is massive.}

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I absolutely adore Easter. I love the happy colors; the fact that  Spring is just starting to poke it's head out of the frozen ground; and, of course, the celebration of the Lord's Resurrection.

But this year, I realized I had a problem.

My Easter decorations are nowhere to be found! The culprit?

The Shed of Doom.

 photo TheShedofDoom_zps9cf7de45.png
Want any tires? :)

. .

 photo Interior_zps63dad081.png
Run for your life.

. .

 photo Shed-Interior_zps57fdffc4.png
Ug.

. .

Believe it or not, this thing was once organized. Even beautiful. Okay. . . maybe not beautiful. But that was three years ago, and long before mice decided it was a cool place to hang tight. So suffice it to say that we spend as little time in there as humanly possible. As the years progressed, people started storing things in there that only added to the clutter and chaos. And, alas, my Easter and St. Patty's Day decorations were lost forever in the abyss.

Enter Pinterest and it's ability to overload the brain and budget with gloriously cute decorations.

Enter my ability to make the same decorations slightly less glorious. But I have fun regardless. :)

. . . .

Stuffed Bunnies: Must


 photo None_zps028071b8.jpg
{photo source}


I had high hopes of making the darling button thingy, too, but I couldn't find any buttons. Sad day. But the idea for the felt bunnies came from "Auntie Lolo Crafts" HERE.

Unfortunately, the link to the pattern she provides is for a private blog. I used my ninja skills and found the pattern by searching Google {you can find it HERE}. I suppose you could make it out of any fabric. . .but I didn't think of that until after I made them from felt. However, felt is dirt cheap and easy to work with, so you just about can't go wrong.

Sorry for the awful picture quality. . . but it's the best I've got.

 photo Bunnies_zps34262800.png
Shameless plug for the temple? Maybe. 

I made my brown bunny about a 1/4 inch larger than the pattern and the pink bunny according to the pattern. There was hardly a difference in overall size. . . so if you want a big bunny, don't be shy when tracing it. Once you add in seam allowances, it makes it a bit tinier than you think. All in all, they're a little "special". . . but they make me happy. Oh, and for the size I made, one piece of felt was plenty. If you make them any bigger, you'll want one piece for the front and one piece for the back.

By the way, I used THIS tutorial to hand-sew the openings shut. It worked like a charm.

. . . . .

Egg Garland : Must

 photo IMG_3478EV-600x400_zps236e92ec.jpg
{photo source}
This inspiration came from "Eclectically Vintage" HERE. I already had one bag of fairly humongous eggs on hand, so I just used those. However, Wal-Mart has quite the assortment of really cheap and colorful eggs, so you could hop over there and hook yourself up.

I used fishing line for my eggs, and here are some things I learned : 1) I was never made to tie knots with invisible string. 2) if you let your offspring play with the eggs you've already threaded, they will end up in a jumbled mess that rivals Christmas lights. You will want to say choice words as you try to unscramble them. 3) Make sure your eggs are as close together as possible when you tie your last knot, because otherwise you'll end up with a space between your last two eggs like so:

 photo Mantel_zps47349ea5.png

I realize it's not at all as cute as the original, but it was a quick and easy project that also just so happened to be free. So sue me. :)

. . . .

Easter Subway Art: Must

 photo Close-Up_zpsfc6e7c38.png

If you Google search "Easter subway art", you will have no less than forty-five billion to choose from, so knock yourself out. I ended up using this one HERE from "Curds and Whey". I had to shave quite a bit off of the ends in order to get it to fit in my frame, but, hey, it still works.

The odd little egg-looking-chicken-thing is from "The Wood Connection". It looked much cuter when they made it.

. . . .

Spring Wreath: Must

My last not-very-cute-but-still-on-display-anyway project was a reuse from Hannah's birthday:

 photo SpringWreath_zpsf8c045b3.png

I used the tutorial for a felt scalloped wreath found HERE from "A Bit of Sunshine". I didn't have any ribbon that matched the colors of the wreath, so I used raffia as the base for the "spring" lettering. The only problem with that is that it's really hard to glue things on straight. As you can tell by the crazy letters.

It adds character. . . right?!

. . .

Sorry to all of you skilled decoration makers that now want to go scratch out your eyes. My bad. :)

I hope you all have better luck finding your spring decorations and take time to enjoy this beautiful weather!

Comments

Popular Posts