Must or Bust: Homemade Corn Dogs and Two-Timin' Pasta

Howdy-Do!

I love food. And so, naturally, this Must or Bust is all about food. Yummers!


Homemade Corn dogs: Bust

 photo 692aa940d5e63b7fcc1cd4a0cdd0f15b_zps1c734b06.jpg
{photo source}


For starters, just let me say that I'm not the world's biggest fan of hot dogs. I mean, sure, they're iconic of summertime in America and they're fun to roast over a fire, but as far as trampling people in order to bite into a juicy hot dog? No, thank you.

However, I was scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of creative things for Hannah to eat and I stumbled across this recipe on Pinterest. I clicked on over to "Chef In Training" and found the detailed recipe HERE.

We have a deep fryer roaming around our house, so instead of frying these bad boys in a pan, I thought I'd try deep frying them.

FAIL.

Not only did 95% of the batter dip off into the oil, leaving a monster-of-a-mess to clean up, what little DID stay in the basket ended up sticking to it. . . . so I basically ended up with deep fried hot dogs.

I decided to give it another go in a frying pan, and they turned out much better. However, they looked nothing like the picture. When I put the hot dogs into the oil, the batter fluffed out and ended up making my corn dogs look more like wide, flat oval dogs. The taste was pretty good. . . but I just didn't think it was as "quick and easy" as it claimed to be.

But if you're in the mood for an adventure and you want a corn dog pretty darn bad, you should give them a whirl. Let me know if you have better luck!

. . . .

Two-Timin' Pasta: MUST

 photo redwhitepasta5_thumb2_zps0624a640.jpg
{photo source}

Sweet mother of pearl. This stuff was SO yummy! I wouldn't put it on the "Top 10 Best Foods For You" list, but, man oh man, is it ever yummy!

I found the recipe over at "Pearls, Handcuffs, and Happy Hour" HERE and it is super simple. All it is is a bottle of marina sauce, a bottle of Alfredo sauce, mozzarella cheese, and some Parmesan cheese. I didn't even use any seasonings {other than what came in the sauces}, and it was still quite flavorful. A word to the wise: the Parmesan cheese that you sprinkle on top gives it a wonderful texture and adds a lot to the flavor, so don't skimp!

We also added some garlic bread {which was really just sliced white bread with butter, a little garlic salt, Italian seasoning, and basil sprinkled on top cooked in the oven for the last five minutes of baking time}, and it complimented it quite nicely. If you're feeling crazy, a green salad would round this meal out perfectly.

One more thing: it fills up an entire 9x13, so this would be a great thing to make if you have a larger family or if you're having company over. Or, of course, if you're like us and love some delicious left-overs for a couple days.

. . . .

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend!

Comments

Popular Posts