Must or Bust : Nursing Cover and Lace Shirt


Hello! Hello!

Today's Must or Bust is a fun one, you guys! I'm so excited to share these projects with you. One was a bit more challenging than the other, but I know you can do them, too! Trust me. If I can do it, so can you.

DIY Nursing Cover: Must

 photo IMG_8836_zpsb518c3c9.jpg
{photo source}

If you can sew in a straight-ish line, click on over to "Pretty Prudent"'s tutorial HERE and make yourself a nursing cover. It is quick and simple and you can whip some up for yourself and any potential baby showers down the road. And even better, they are CHEAP. So what are you waiting for?

 photo NursingCover_zpse64a6f9f.png

 photo NursingCover-Side_zpsed69d6a7.png

I love how there's quite a bit of extra fabric to cover my sides. The "Udder Cover" I bought when I had Hannah is awesome, but I sometimes feel like I'm . . . well, you know. Flashing the world from the side. This bad boy, however, has plenty of extra give where that's concerned.

. . .

Casually Chic Lace Top: Must

 photo ACasuallyChicLaceTopbyMadeitonMonday_thumb2_zps285ff56b.jpg
{photo source}

I fell in love with this shirt back when I was 6 or 7 months pregnant with Curtis but knew I would have to wait to make it until my belly stopped expanding . . . which has finally happened! You can see "Made it on Monday"'s tutorial HERE.

But, seriously.

You guys.

Have you ever seen me try to make a pattern from scratch? It ain't pretty. This poor shirt had quite a few stitches unpicked before it came to fruition. I also had to make some minor major alterations to the original concept because I don't really know how to sew clothes yet. I definitely just fake it 'til I make it. . . or give up and erase all evidence of my failed attempt. But, thankfully, this shirt may actually see the light of day!

One alteration I made was that I added jersey knit backing behind the lace because I didn't want to have to wear an undershirt. Make sense? That was fairly simple to do, so don't be scared. I merely sewed the lace and knit together and then followed the original tutorial as if I was using nothing but lace.

Another alteration was that I added a band to the top and bottom of the shirt {using the same concept as the band for the sleeves}. The reason I added one to the neck line was because when I cut out my fabric, I made the neck hole large enough that it would have comfortably fit an overweight wildebeest. Whoops. See?! Told you I don't know what I'm doing. After adding the band, I realized the neck hole was still much too massive. I put on my thinking cap and used some 1/4" elastic in the front half of the shirt to close the gap a bit. Worked like a champ.

The band on the bottom was added simply because I felt it made the shirt look {and lay} a lot nicer.

So without further ado, I give you my version of this adorable shirt {and please pardon my completely makeup-less face. Curtis was having a level 3 melt down in his crib and I didn't have time to finish getting ready}

 photo Shirt_zps15de78b0.png



. . .

Thanks a bunch for stopping by! I really hope you give these tutorials a try; you won't be disappointed.

Comments

  1. Oh my heck, I LOVE your shirt!! When I have a sewing machine someday, will you help me make one too? Simply gorgeous my dear!

    And kudos to the nursing cover! It's darling as well! I'm sure when Curtis is older, he'll appreciate the manliness. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Oh yes. The manliness. . . Or lack thereof. :P And I'd love to help you make one! I'll make some notes on what I did so I can hopefully make it again. I was wingin' it, but I know we can do it! :) In fact, you're more than welcome to use my sewing machine if you want to find some fabric! {P.S. my jersey knit was pretty thick and it worked really well. I've had bad luck sewing knit in the past, so I'm thinking the thickness of the material helped a lot!}

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts