Fishing Trip #2

So the fishing trip yesterday was an adventure to be sure, but what I really wanted to focus on is the utter studdliness of my sweet husband.

He has always been attentive to every need and he wont stop until he feels it has been met... he just works quickly and quietly and tenderly. For example, back when we were engaged, I contracted Mono (yeah, folks... mono) and my tonsils swelled until I couldn't swallow, talk, eat, drink... you get the picture. I happened to be down visiting my mom when this hit me, so I was able to crash at her house for a week. I was dead on the couch for about 5 days in utter agony. My then-fiance had to work day shifts that whole week, but he was sure to text me at every available second and then on day 5, he set off after work to come to my rescue. By that time, he had tried to visit me once before but got turned away by my mother (because I happened to be sleeping at the time). I was feeling extraordinarily better by that time (THANK YOU STEROIDS!) but he still sat on the bed, tenderly stroking my hair, while he brainstormed food that I could easily eat (yogurt, mashed potatoes, ice cream, etc) and then went to the store to get them, carting me along in his gray pajama pants (I ran out of clean clothes!), tennis shoes, and wearing his brown leather coat. I looked like... I wont say. But it wasn't pretty. And yet he walked through the store (yes, in public) by my side anyway.

I thought THAT was a good story to illustrate his studdliness, but what happened yesterday takes the cake.

Deer Creek (Rainbow Bay) was the highest we've ever seen it, and so the bank where we usually fish was under about 2 or so feet of water. We were left to fish from the higher bank-- right in the glaring sun. Luckily, it was a little overcast yesterday... but once the clouds dispersed, I began to melt to my 9-dollar-folding-chair. I said something simple, like, "Wow. It sure is feeling like 98 degrees now!" and left it at that. A few seconds later, Chuck started wandering up and down the shoreline. Then he shimmied down to the waters edge right in front of me and started hacking away at the dead branch of a tree like a mountain man with a grudge. He didn't said one word to me about what he was up to, so I thought maybe the branch was getting in his way of... I had no idea. I was thinkin' hard of reasons, but couldn't come up with any. Soooo, I just sat there with my fishing pole and kept on evaporating.

After the branch was successfully dismembered, he grabbed his folding chair and started figuring out how it could possibly rest in the shady spot he had just created. It just so turns out he's a professional rock finder and was able to arrange some rocks in the water so that the chair's front two legs could balance on them, while the back two rested on shore. He climbed up the 3 foot drop off and said, "Wanna wear my water shoes and sit down there in the shade with your feet in the water?"

"Uh.... SURE!"

He popped off his water shoes and helped me down to the chair in bare feet. He made sure I was comfy, and then went to sit up in the sun behind me. I yelped a little at the cold water because it surprised me, and then commenced in letting the water shoes float so as to keep the bulk of my feet from being in contact with the frigid lake. I thought I was doing a bang up job, but pretty soon Chuck was rummaging through the water again. "What are you--" I didn't have time to finish because he had found the rock he wanted. He huffed it over to me and created a cute little foot stool for me to rest my pasty toes on. What a stud. Doing all this in bare feet, no less. I demanded he take his shoes back because I was hooked up with all the amenities of a Hilton hotel.

The only problem? Now I was lonely in my heavenly perch. Chuck must have agreed because it wasn't long before he was doing the same thing down at the waters edge for himself-- minus the foot stool for pansies who can't have their feet in the water.

I'm always amazed at how sweet and thoughtful he is. He truly is my best friend and eternal companion, and I couldn't wish for more. I am one LUCKY woman!

Comments

Popular Posts