My Mission

Alright, folks.

So my hubby got an official job offer from Washington. The heat is on!!

The idea of moving so far away from all of my family and friends is at times very daunting. It is intimidating to move somewhere that you have no connections. What if making friends is difficult? What if? What if? What if? So that's why I decided a while back that I was not to complain regardless of what happened.  If we move across the nation and live in a fabricated cardboard box, I will hang up my little decorations on the wall (or, I guess I should tape up my decorations since hanging them would certainly result in tearing the poor cardboard), and I will not complain.

And that doesn't just apply to the idea of moving to Washington, of course. For example, Zoe is currently demolishing a pine cone that she found on her recent trip outside under my kitchen table. And if that wasn't enough, she also managed to bring in some decrepit, dried up old branch from a tumbleweed, and believe me, it's in about a million small pieces on my floor, too.

See?!  I offer proof.



But I decided that it's not going to kill me to vacuum up the carpet one more time. Puppies will be puppies, and I'm only going to give myself an ulcer if I try and change that fact.

Being content with what I'm given and where I'm at in life right now has been a lifelong trick to learn. I'm still learning it... I'll always be learning it. And that's okay. I believe being content and cheerful (genuinely content and cheerful) is something that will greatly add to not only our own happiness, but the happiness of those around us.

After all, "Everyone chases after happiness, not noticing that happiness is right at their heels" (Bertolt Brecht)

And "Contentment is a pearl of great price, and whoever procures it at the expense of ten thousand desires makes a wise and happy purchase." (John Balguy)

And last but not least, "Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." (Epicurus)

Comments

Popular Posts