The Cabin Adventure

Sorry this is a little slow coming around the mountain. . . but better late than never! Right?!

Last weekend, the hubs, our neighbor and good friend Jake, and myself went up to Strawberry Reservoir for a weekend of fishing and fun. Jake's family has a cabin up there about five minutes from the lake, and as soon as I heard that it's equipped with real live toilets, a bed, a shower, and a kitchen, I was good to go :) We rented a wee little aluminum boat, purchased way too many snacks for our own good, loaded Zoe up in her kennel in the bed of our truck, and hit the road.

Now, one thing you must understand before I continue the story further-- the last time my husband and Jake went up to the cabin for a weekend, the motor in the truck (. . . or was it the transmission?) blew up.

[RANDOM SIDE NOTE: That happened shortly before Chuck and I started dating. In fact, it was still on the mend right around the time that he figured I was worth driving 2 hours to take on a date. His race car (the Neon SRT-4) was gimping along in life at the time, too, because he had bent a rod. If that makes no sense to you, fear not. Just know that he had two vehicles: 1) the truck, which was immobile, and 2) the Neon, which was seriously handicapped.]

Anywhoo, we got to the cabin, and the first thing we did was tether Zoe outside so she wouldn't run off and get eaten by a bear. Or a chipmunk. The first thing Zoe did was lock eyes with the bright yellow tether ball. Pretty sure it was love at first sight. Well, it was love as far as she was concerned. It more closely resembled unabashed fear on the part of the poor ball.

This first video was while she was still partially immobilized by her tether. . .


And then the hubs got the bright idea of letting her off of her leash and it was 'game on'. . .



This, my friends, is what Mr. Ball looked like after making it home.



Not good.

Well, next on our list of adventure? Hit the lake. Catch some fishies. Stuff our faces with snacks and drink way too many cans of soda pop.


Hmmm. Pretty sure he was about to say something. I'm such a skilled photographer. 

Leave it to the hubs to find a comfortable position in an aluminum boat. 

I don't know that person in the background sitting like a fairy. I also don't know why her life jacket wouldn't button up. :)

Jake! 


Let it be known--- we were really good at hitting the lake. Trust me. It may never recover. Jake and I were in the boat while Chuck backed us down the ramp. Um. . . if you want professional boat launchers, don't call us. Let's just leave it at that :) We were also really good at stuffing our faces and drinking too much. We weren't so good at catching any fish, although Chuck and I had multiple bites. Trolling at 8-ish miles per hour isn't recommended because you end up losing all the fish before you can get them into the boat. hahaha!

The next day, it threatened to rain and so our professional boat driver (Jake) opted to stay in the warm, dry cabin while Chuck and I did a little shore fishing. Maybe he just didn't want to get struck by lightening in an aluminum boat in the middle of a lake. Weird.

Did we get rained on? Yup. Did we have fun anyway? Yup. Did we catch any fish? Nope. But we DID find out that the fishies are really skilled at stripping power bait without upsetting my husband's fishing poll. And we also found out that my reel had been broken the entire trip. So I would have basically had better luck catching the fish with my hands than with my poll. Awesome.

On our way home the next day, we hadn't even left Strawberry in the rear view mirror when the unthinkable happened. My husband decided that driving behind a goofus not even going the speed limit was going to drive us all bonkers, and so he started to pass them. Weeeellll, I guess our truck has a secret lover in the area because it does everything under its power not to leave. We got neck to neck with the other car and suddenly lost all power. Awwwww dang. We still passed the car, mind you. We coasted past them (they were that slow. . . or we were that fast. Take your pick), and coasted on over to the shoulder.

I shant bore you with the technicalities, but let's just say that the transmission broke. When a truck makes mucho more power than it was ever designed to, there needs to be preventative measures taken to ensure it doesn't kill itself. But even 'preventative measures' only prevent for so long.

2 hours later, my brother-in-law and sister (and her 3 kidlits) showed up to tow us to Heber. No sooner did they show up than it started to rain. Murphy has a law and it certainly seems fond of me. In fact, Murphy's law is such a reliable constant in my life that I had to relieve my bladder before we even left the cabin, but I figured I could safely hold it until we got home. Of course, I didn't plan on an unexpected visit from Murphy and a 4+ hour detour. It's a miracle my eyes didn't turn yellow, folks. And believe you me, the second we pulled off the road, I began to frantically scan the horizon for a bush big enough to hide my hinney. There was nuthin'. I was outta luck.

A couple hours after our rescue to Heber, we pulled into the driveway (thank you, AAA Roadside Assistance. Oh, and bless you, little 'Plus RV' cursive writing at the top of my card. Otherwise the poor boat would have had to be left behind for the vultures.). T'was a long time coming, just let me tell ya. I've never been so happy to see the driveway. Nor was Zoe, who had to spend the entire escapade in her kennel in the bed of the truck. She's never going to want to go camping with us again. hahaha!

So, um, yeah. Our truck is never allowed back to Strawberry Reservoir again. I refuse to let it lay eyes on it. Because, APPARENTLY, it has a difficult time saying goodbye. We may not have any fish to show for our weekend adventure, but we have some other pretty wicked awesome souvenirs to flaunt: two sunburned noses, one mangled tether ball, one traumatized dog, one busted transmission, and three friends who will have many laughable memories down the road.

{Stay tuned for the epilogue}

Comments

  1. I like the "We were also good at . . . drinking too much" line. :) If I didn't know better, . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. so... I'm pretty sure chuck wasn't playing fair in that first video. poor zoe, she didn't stand a chance at winning that match.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts