Opposites

Sorry about the double post today, but I didn't think that belly pictures really counted as a real-live post. :)

I'm sure you're all very, very familiar with the eternal truth that there "must needs be an opposition in all things" (2 Nephi 2:11). We are all undoubtedly familiar with opposites, as well. After all, they were one of the first things we learned. . .

Up - Down.
Happy - Sad.
Hard - Soft.
Thin - Thick.
Young - Old.
Fast - Slow.

Heaven knows I could go on forever :)

Just so we're clear before I get going: this post isn't to vent; it isn't to hear myself talk. It certainly isn't to make myself feel cool or special. I'm posting this so that someone somewhere will read it and think, "Oh, hey. I'm not alone! Her life isn't perfect and she has horrible days, too. Sweet sauce." There are far too many people out there who are under the impression that the individuals with whom they associate (especially in this wild online world) are perfect. Not only that, but that their lives are a continual ride on the back of a unicorn through a field of lush green grass toward their 14 bedroom, perpetually clean mansion where Matthew McConaughey acts as pool boy and butler.

It's not true, folks. No one's life is perfect.

---------------

Pregnancy has blessed me with many things, but it has also cursed me with quite a few inconveniences, as well {there's that opposition/opposite thing coming into play}. I am now blessed with the inability to:

1) fit in all but one pair of my non-maternity pants.
2) sleep a full night without waking up to go to the bathroom.
3) wear anything shorter than capris because of varicose veins in my left leg (my right is unscathed as of right now, oddly enough).
4) touch my toes.
And let's not forget the utter and amazing inability to cope with virtually, um, anything.

I have so many 'ups and downs' every day that I feel like a yo-yo on a fishing boat in the middle of a hurricane. On second thought, make that a yo-yo on a very small fishing boat with lots of leaks in the middle of a hurricane. Yeah. That's better.

I pulled yet another 'pregnancy brain card' this afternoon and got my days mixed up to where I thought my husband didn't have to work tonight. He did. And I didn't cook dinner. So 45 minutes before he had to leave as he was looking at me with a quite morose expression, I realized my mistake, and we shot off to Subway. On our way home, some high quality individual in a van got his panties in so tight of a knot that he's going to need some scissors to get them off later. He yelled some not very nice words and names at my husband while trying {in vain} to spit on our truck as he passed us at a stop light, and all because our truck emits visible exhaust while going up a hill. At least, that's about all I can figure. Wow. Good goin', little fella. Very mature.

Normally, I would probably 'hum and ha' about such a situation for a few minutes and then move on (all the while wishing it never happened in the first place). But my 'hum and ha' skills are woefully inadequate these days. I took it personally; I became very sad; and I was unable to let it go. The scene played through my head on instant-slow-motion-replay probably 20 times before we could make the 5 minute journey home. Then Zoe peed all over my clean pants, shoes, and foot as I attempted to feed her and give her fresh water.

I am, however, proud to announce that I was then able go back inside, wash off my foot, change my pants, hurl my shoes into the dirty clothes basket with enough force to scar them for life, wish my husband a nice night at work, and finish folding an entire load of laundry before bawling! Yeah. It was pretty neat. I was mighty proud of myself. :)    

I feel much better now. Life will go on (. . . maybe not for van-man's undies, but it will for me). And I promise that it will go on for you, no matter how stinky your situation is. I think it helps to realize that bad days make the good ones all the more special.

If we never had days where we couldn't cope with it all, there would only need to be about 20 Kleenexes to a box (instead of, like, 400) and I'm fairly sure Ben and Jerry's wouldn't sell half as many pints of "Chubby Hubby" ice cream. If we never had to suffer, how would we know what true happiness felt like?  

     

Comments

  1. True. :)

    And these times with waves of hormones help you appreciate similar stressful situations with a little baby, but your mind is finally in control again. :) After raging hormones and discomforts of pregnancy, once you're back to normal, it's surprising what you can take that your baby throws at you, just because it's not INSIDE you anymore! :) You are training well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts