Puzzle Pieces and Mason Jars

I'm not dead! See?! Worry not.

If you've been following my blog for any given amount of time you've probably realized that I have stretches of time where I post daily, or even twice a day. Then I go through a period where I don't post anything. I have no idea why I do such a thing. Maybe if I had a fascinating life full of original ideas and crafties I would post more often. . .  but something tells me you'd all get really sick and tired of hearing about how I sit around and listen to my kid cry all day long every day, so I'll continue to spare you the daily posts when I have nothing to write about. ;)

However, lucky for you guys, I have something to post about today! Woohoo!

For the past three days or so, I've been unable to go to sleep until after midnight. Not good. Especially when my kid wakes up shortly thereafter to eat. But I loooove to read and I love to digest what I read. In my mind. I don't eat my books, I swear.

There's a book written by a sweet LDS woman named Laura M. Brotherson {who is a CFLE. . . which thanks to Google, I now know means a "Certified Family Life Educator". Thanks, Google!}. The title of her book is "And They Were Not Ashamed: Strengthening Marriage through Sexual Fulfillment".

Now, before you blush and frantically push the back button on your browser {or any button in your haste to get away}, let me assure you that I won't be going into any detail that is blush-worthy. Honest. This book is very, very tastefully written and a wonderful read. If you're interested in more information, you can check out her website www.StrengtheningMarriage.com. {And I'm sure you could find her book at any bookstore, including Deseret Book and Seagull Book if you don't want to order online}

Anywhoo, after trying in vain to fall asleep last night, I grabbed this book from atop of my dresser and started reading. At the end of the chapter, she said something that made me think. She said,

"As two differently created puzzle pieces, husbands and wives can come together in cooperation and consideration as they strive for mutual sexual fulfillment and God-ordained oneness in marriage. Even with their differences, God invites husband and wife to seek completion, wholeness, and eternal oneness with each other." (Brotherson, And They Were Not Ashamed, 104.)

source
 I loved how she used puzzle pieces to explain spouses. You've all seen a puzzle. . . every piece is shaped differently. Sometimes it's hard to imagine that any of them would ever fit together and form something beautiful. But, miraculously, they do. Two differently shaped pieces {imperfect by themselves} connect together perfectly to begin the journey of making something beautiful--such as a faith-filled marriage.

Now stay with me as I go a little crazy and branch off of what Laura was referring to. ;)

Think about each person who loves you as a puzzle piece. We're all connected in some way, right? And as such, we create a beautiful scene when we stick together.

Okay. I'm done with the weird puzzle piece analogy-thing.

There's just one more quote/idea from the book that I wanted to share.

"Time tithing is putting first things first, then surprisingly having time enough left over for whatever else needs to be done."

She goes on to say, "Imagine a wide-mouthed jar. You have some large rocks (representing the most important things you have to do), some smaller rocks, lots of gravel and lots of sand (representing the least important things to do). If you put the large rocks in first, then the smaller rocks, then the less-important gravel and finally the sand, you can fill up the spaces in between the rocks, allowing everything to fit (except maybe some of the least-important items). However, if you pour the gravel and sand in first, because it may be easier or take less time or effort, there will not be room enough for the more important rocks. Scheduling what matters most, and holding that time sacred, puts the big rocks first in your life." (Brotherson, And They Were Not Ashamed, 110.)

Now, I understand that doing that is easier said than done. I totally get that. But it's a lot easier if we keep trying instead of giving up before we even start. So think over your life (and daily tasks) and try to put your "big rocks" first, which oddly enough, had better be your "puzzle piece" ;)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts