It's Hard To Imagine. . .

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about how spoiled I am :P

It all started when I was brushing my teeth the other day while pondered the glory of Pinterest. I was scheming my next possible Must or Bust and I thought to myself {I would have said it out loud but didn't want to clean toothpaste off of the mirror}, "Wow. What did we do before Pinterest was invented?"

It's hard to think back to the day when I didn't have Pinterest to encourage creativity and thrifty decorating. It's like the ultimate filing cabinet! I love it. At any rate, that got my wheels spinning and considering everything else that didn't used to exist, but has now virtually become an appendage.


One of the most obvious is the internet; both on a laptop and on my phone. I still remember playing "Commander Keen" on the old {OLD} computer in the basement. That and "Hugo" . . . 


{source}
{source}
Oh, man. If that wasn't a walk down memory lane! Craziness. But, yeah. Point and case- - - technology has changed astronomically in only a few years. It's hard to imagine what I would do if I didn't have internet at my fingertips.


. . . . . 


It's hard to imagine what life would be like without my Pampered Chef pots and pans. Seriously, folks. The reason I have them in the first place is not because I'm a wealthy person who can blow $300+ buckeroos on cookware. Rather, the basement where we're living is stocked with the hubby's grandmother's cookware. She wasn't going to need them while living upstairs, and so I have been spoiled with every imaginable pot and pan for the past 2 years. 


I told Chuck the other day that one of my greatest fears of moving into our own place is that I will lose the Pampered Chef pots/pans and be left with, um, like, 2 Calphalon pans. {which are great, don't get me wrong. . . but I have no nice pots. This is bad, guys}. 


See what I mean? Spoiled.


. . . . 


It's hard to imagine my life before I was a wife, not to mention a mother. What did I do all day? What did I spend all that money on? What did I have to worry about? Sheesh. . . 


And I am well aware that I will look back on this time in my life and say, "What did I do with only one kid? What did I do all day?" and "Why did I ever want to move out of that one-bedroom apartment and get a mortgage?" and a whole bunch of other stuff. But I guess that's just life. 


We become accustomed to a new 'normal', and life goes on. 


Our 'normal' is constantly changing, whether or not we consciously notice it. 


I still remember being scared to DEATH to be left alone with Zoe when she was puppy because I didn't know what to do. I didn't know how to take care of a puppy. Really, folks-- scared to death. I was nervous about being a manager back in the dizzle when I worked. After I got over the elation of finding out I was pregnant, I became petrified that I wasn't going to be able to survive giving birth. Taking Hannah home from the hospital was a trip. . . I vividly recall taking her to her pediatrician the day after we brought her home to get her bilirubin levels checked. As we were leaving the office, I thought "You're really trusting me to take her home? Unsupervised? I don't know what I'm doing!"


Adaptation, my friends. It's a beautiful thing, and we all do it. We adapt to changes in our lives; the good one as well as the not-so-good ones. There's no sense in looking back fondly over days gone by and wishing you could go back. You can't. Sorry. Not gonna happen. So make the most out of what you have NOW!

On a related note, there's no sense pining over a reality that's not yours. Life may take you in a very different direction than the one you planned, and if you can't adapt to your reality, chances are that you'll end up an ornery bum that no one likes to be around. That's not to say you shouldn't dream or set goals, but roll with the punches!

Let's both just enjoy it as it comes and stop worrying so much.

Deal?

Comments

  1. Love it! Especially the part about being scared to death to take care of a baby. I felt so inadequate and clueless. Sometimes I still feel a little amazed that I've kept her alive as long as I have!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts