The Evolution of Life :)

As I sit here in the fading light of my basement apartment, I can hear the humidifier on the kitchen table blowing at full blast, intermingling nicely with the frantic clicks coming from my husband's laptop keys. Hannah is sleeping peacefully in her crib a few feet away and Zoe is zonked out at my feet.

It's cozy and comfortable down here.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how we each handle life a little differently depending on which stage we're in. Take, for example, when a child loses something dear to them. Holy flying monkey farts-- call in the army. The devastation of losing that one thing overrides everything else. They lack the experience and maturity to see the big picture.

When I was in high school, certain things mattered more than others. I worried about my grades, where to sit in the cafeteria, and finding a good parking spot. I wondered about which boys to date. I pondered a lot about where to go to college, and where to work during the summer. When I had a crush on a boy and he didn't even know I existed, it was a big deal. When I got lower than an 'A' in a class, it was a big deal.

College came around and life shifted a little bit. Things that once mattered took a bow, and new things cluttered up my mind, demanding attention. Which food was the cheapest at the grocery store? How long could I live on a loaf of bread and Alfredo sauce?  Was I going to be able to write that paper in time for the due date? Did I study enough for that math test? Are my roommates and I going to have time to watch 2 or 3 "Smallville" episodes before we all zonk out? When morning rolled around and I didn't have the brain power to function and get to class, it was a big deal. As a music major, when I couldn't master a piece of music like I wanted, it was a big deal.

Life has slowly been changing over the years to deposit me right where I am. If I had been asked to deal with some of the stresses in my life when I was 17, I wouldn't have been able to. Just like the kid with the lost toy, I didn't have the maturity or experience to deal with it. Fifteen years down the road, I'm sure I will say the exact same thing about this current version of myself.

{source}

Before we are asked to do something in this life, we often don't think we can do it. . . and we might be right. But this much I do know-- if Heavenly Father puts an obstacle or situation in our path, we can rest assured that He did it seeing the big picture. He did it knowing that we have been consistently and diligently prepared for it in the past. And the crazy concept is that by overcoming/enduring/learning from that one thing, we have prepared for the next. 

If you find yourself being pushed out of your comfort zone, don't be scared! It's all part of the plan. It must be time to go to the next stepping stone along the path of your life. Take a moment to think back on how far you've come. . . you might notice periods of rapid change thanks to particular catalysts, intermingled with imperceptible adjustments.

We are constantly evolving, and by turning to the Lord for our instruction and assistance, we will always end up right where we need to be. 

Comments

  1. Great post. I needed to read that. Heavenly Father doesn't give us more than we can handle, even if it might not feel that way at the time. We can't grow if we aren't being challenged! I love this perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts