Must or Bust : Crocheted Slippers and a Playpen Pillowcase


Lest you think that all I can write about now are Must or Busts, let me just say that. . . uh. . . . it sure seems that way. :) I promise to have a post up that doesn't use the word "must" or "bust" before the end of this week. Buuuut, for right now, let's just have a little bit of fun.

And one other thing-- I know this is my third Must or Bust in nearly as many days. I promise I shower and get out of the house. I even feed Hannah and change her diaper and play with her on the floor. I also let Zoe out of the house to play in the snow go potty. I realize it probably doesn't seem that way with how many crafts and recipes I've been trying lately. . . but it's true!. ;)

. . . .

Mary Jane Slippers: MUST

Photobucket
{photo source}

As already mentioned in the previous installment, I'm on a crocheting rampage. For the most part, crocheting soothes me and gives me a chance to think without feeling like I'm 'sitting there doing nothing.' I say "for the most part" because sometimes it makes me want to start drinking. . . like when I can't understand the pattern and get stuck or when I realize I did something wrong after I'm 90% finished and have to unpick it and start all over for the third time {I wish I were kiding}.

These slippers found over Goodknits.com HERE were fun to learn, but I have to be honest. The first attempt was what can only be labeled as a FAIL.

Photobucket

Yeah. Cute, eh? ;) Pretty sure they fit my husband. Don't ask me how I know that.

After switching to a smaller hook size and concentrating on making tighter stitches, I tried again. This is what I came up with:

Photobucket

They were still a litle roomy, so on my next one I ended up only making 11 passes before finishing up the heel {instead of the suggested 12 + finishing}. It seemed to really help it fit my foot better. Just do what works best for you! One word of advice: make sure when making a pair that you make the loops on opposite sides so that you don't end up with two left feet or two right feet. Make sense?

Oh, and if you need help making the loop that will act as your clasp, just ask! It took me a good five minutes before I figured out how to make a large loop while continuing to sc in order to secure it. That could just be thanks to my inability to really crochet without making stuff up. . . but still.

Here is a shot of the two side by side. The one of the right is the smaller one. It's really hard to tell a difference in the photos, but it feels like a huge difference!

Photobucket

Don't get discouraged if you have to make 3 slippers {or 4 or 6} in order to get two matching ones. You're not alone!

And, yeah, sometimes I look down at my feet and say, "I kinda look like a grandma." But, hey, at least my toes are nice and cozy and I don't wear out my socks!

. . . . .

This next project came from a friend of mine from college. She's such a genius!

Playpen Pillowcase Sheet : MUST

Photobucket
{photo source}

You can view Katie's tutorial HERE.

Not only was this a quick sewing project {and great for those who aren't terribly comfortable using a sewing machine}, but it's SO useful. I am beyond excited to use this!

We bought our playpen for $5.00 at a garage sale and so while it was in great shape, it was still 'gently used' and I'm kind of a germaphobe when it comes to things like that. As Hannah has used it more and more, I've begun to notice more and more nasty stains popping up. Wet wipes weren't cutting it, and so I was super pleased to stumble across my friend's simple sheet tutorial. I call it a pillowcase sheet because it slips on and off like a pillow case.

The dimensions of my pad were 36.5" x 23.5", which means I cut my fabric to be 42.5" x 24.5". It slips on just right if you use a 1/2" seam allowance. Anything tighter and you'd probably really hate taking it on/off. . . just to warn you.

After about 30 minutes {give or take}, you have a pillowcase sheet! YAY!

. . .

Photobucket
{it's difficult to tell, but the fabric is brown with blue overlapping circles}

Photobucket


Photobucket

So much better!

. . . . .

I hope you enjoyed these little projects! I have many more to come; so stay tuned! Don't forget that you can look at the list of previous Must or Busts by clicking on the link at the top right side of my blog.

Have an absolutely amazing Monday!

Comments

  1. Those little slippers are so cute! I love them! I think I would have to buy really soft fluffy yarn though. That's what I like on my feet. But that stuff isn't very durable so... who am I kidding. I'm not going to crochet these, I'm busy knitting a baby blanket for my baby's blessing day... or maybe it will be done by her baptism...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you found the tutorial useful and I'm glad it worked for you!! Yay! :D It looks great!! I decided to change my blog to public because I want to start putting up more tutorials. (hopefully) The slippers look comfy! I will have to try them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts