Spilled Water and Fabric Scraps


Once upon a time, I spilled some water on the table during dinner. Nothing major. . . I didn't even notice it until I was cleaning up the plates.

"Oh. . . " I thought, "here are some leftover fabric scraps from my sewing project. I'll just use those to soak up the water."

Photobucket
{photo source}

Have you ever tried to wipe up water with regular fabric {like what you use for a skirt or a pillowcase or a handbag}? It doesn't work very well. It initially just kinda swishes the water around on the table instead of absorbing it. That got me to thinking how all fabrics aren't created equal. Dishtowels. for example, are designed for a very specific purpose. . . just like the fabric I used is designed for a very specific purpose, albeit different.

Naturally, I began comparing my random little spill experience to life in general. Because, let's face it, I'm a little bit crazy like that. :)

Each person is unique and they have their own talents and passions. Just like this quote from Albert Einstein explains. . .

Photobucket
{photo source}

. . . every single person is different.

If we spend our time and effort comparing each other based on our talents and strengths, then we're not being very fair at all. It would be like telling me that I'm going to sing in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir based on the fact that I play the violin. The two have very little to do with each other! Just because I play an instrument doesn't mean I can sing.

If we judge the usefulness of any given fabric on its ability to duplicate what another piece of fabric can do, we're going to end up very frustrated and under the impression that all fabric is utterly worthless. But in reality, nothing could be further from the truth! We need to remember to look at the big picture when 1) selecting fabric and 2) when tempted to look down on another person for their inability to do something.

. . . .

In church last week, we were discussing life-long learning and how it benefits our minds and our outlook on life. Someone made a comment that got the wheels in my noggin spinning. It's important to realize that learning new things is not always easy or convenient. It can even be scary sometimes. But what really stood out to me was that not everyone can master every subject.

For example, I do not get along well with math in many ways. I respect it very much and realize that without it, the world would cease to spin. However, that doesn't mean I understand it. If you ask me any given multiplication table, I'll probably look at you with a blank stare and say, "Uhhhh, 27! 42. . . 6?"

But there are many people that absolutely adore math. They even love it so much they go to school for the purpose of leaning more math so they can teach math nearly every single day of their lives. That's a lot 'o love. But to judge me as an individual based on how good I am at math is very narrow minded and inaccurate. The same thing goes for any given subject and any given person under the sun.

Have you ever looked at a complete stranger and judged them based on their outward appearance-- the state of their clothes or the style of their hair? Now think about this : have you ever judged someone based on appearances and given them the benefit of the doubt? Or do we tend to judge harshly instead? Personally, I've never looked at one of the men holding a cardboard sign on the freeway off-ramp and though, "Gee. I'll bet they have a very lively step and can dance a jig like no one I've ever seen!"

No.

Unfortunately, I focus on how different they are from me. I focus on all the things I assume they can't do instead of the things they can.

. . . . .

I could choose to look down on others and berate myself because of the things they/I can't do. I could choose to tell myself that I'm useless because I can't do multiplication tables or I can't do this or that like that person over there can. On the flip side, I could choose to view myself as superior based on some of the things I CAN do that others can't.

But what is fair about that?

I took the time to learn about music and practiced many hours to get where I am with my violin. I've even been told I have been blessed with a natural talent for it. So why, in the name of all that is holy, would I scoff at someone who has never had the chance {or desire} to learn to play? I can't compare them to me because our circumstances are profoundly different.

Don't compare yourself to others without knowing all of the intricate details and behind-the-scenes facts. And the only person who knows all the details to everyone's life is Heavenly Father and He certainly isn't looking down His nose at us. He loves us for who we are as individual people with individual strengths, passions, and even weaknesses. He isn't up there wondering why we're not as pretty as so-and-so or why we haven't figured out how to fly to Mars like so-and-so. He is 100% just and 100% fair in His judgments. Can we say the same?

. . . . .

Sometimes we're too harsh on ourselves. Sometimes we're too harsh on others. Sometimes we just need to take a step back and realize all that we can do; all the things we do have; all the good there is in the world. . . and be thankful for it.

Comments

Popular Posts