Must or Bust: Bowl Cover and Maternity Gown


Why, hello, hello! I hope everyone had a great Monday! And if not. . . well, it's over now. Be at peace.

I finished a project this week that I've been working on for many moons. . . and it has given me much grief.

But FIRST. . .  I want to show you my new shower cap.


 photo ShowerCap-DustCatcher_zps783dcc5c.png


Bowl Cover: Must

This tutorial was found at "A Kitschy Kitchen" HERE.  I needed something to keep dust and miscellaneous goobers out of my Kitchen Aid without covering up his beautiful face. And thus this idea was born. . . but somehow it ended up looking a lot more like a shower cap than a tight-fabric-saran-wrap-thing like so:

 photo img_2295_zpsc5217ed9.jpg
{photo source}

Oh dang. At least it's still pretty cute and functional. :)

. . . .

DIY Maternity Gown: Must. . . but only if you're a VERY brave soul

 photo MaternityHospitalGown_thumb5_zps14e58184.jpg
{photo source}


I found this tutorial HERE at "The Crafty Cupboard" and after reading the entire thing through no less than forty times, I said to myself "I can do that." I scrounged up some darling fabric for clearance at Wallie World and spent a minor fortune on snap tape {use a coupon, ya'll. . . it'll help!}.

I didn't get very far before wanting to scratch out my eyeballs. Her tutorial has a plethora of "holes" if you're a fairly inexperienced sewer-person like me. Seriously. I wanted to die. She left out a lot of stuff that she probably deemed "self-explanatory". But it wasn't. I recruited the help of my husband and sister {via a phone call} and still had seemingly insurmountable obstacles to hurdle over before finishing this bad boy. Many weeks later, I finally finished.

{It is FAR from perfect. . . but I figured no one is really going to notice my slightly-faulty-but-full-of-personality-gown. Oh, and P.S. . . Sorry these pictures are blurry. My camera really likes to take blurry pictures no matter how hard you try not to. :) }

 photo MaternityGown_zps18523eb1.png

And let it be known here and now that there is no way in Hades I am going to wear this thing while actually delivering Curtis. Instead, I'm going to save its life and only don it after the show is over and people are coming to visit and gawk at my newest offspring.

If you are feeling brave, do it. I can already tell that I'll feel much more like a human being dressed up in my cute maternity gown than in the faded, humdrum {albeit functional} hospital gown they give you.

Besides, this was definitely a learning experience for me.

Here's a shot of the backside {all safe and snapped up so my bum doesn't get too much of a breeze}:


 photo Gown-Back_zps3ef4689c.png

And last but not least, here's an extra fuzzy picture of my favorite feature:

 photo Gown-BFAccess_zps6f87d820.png

I can give access to The Ladies (whichever side is needed) without having my entire upper body/shoulder exposed for the world to see. Miiiighty nifty stuff, folks. Mighty nifty.

So if you're a good seamstress or you want to practice {like me}, go ahead and make one of these guys! I'll betcha I spent around $25 dollars for this entire thing, which isn't bad if you consider how much it would cost to buy one {$60+}. This would also make a very nice and unique gift if you're not expecting a little one but know someone who is.

If you come across any questions whilst attempting this, let me know. I will surely give you a shoulder to cry on. . . and maybe some helpful hints if I can recall them from the black hole that is my memory.

. . . .

Enjoy the rest of your week!


Comments

  1. All right my little Darling, I am putting in my order for one of those "shower cap" thingies for my Kitchen Aide mixer. I love that material so hopefully you have a little more for your madre. And the hospital gown is so dang cute (if a bit blurry LOL as you said) but it is really great. I can't wait to see you in it at the hospital! You are amazing.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts