Must or Bust: A Masive Tote Bag and Make-Up Remover Pads


Yes, I know. . . Another Must or Bust.

I'm a weirdie.

I just can't help it.

I also can't help that sewing projects are my drug of choice at the current moment. . .


Nikki Tote Bag: Must

 photo c2815507c95938115cae506025e66cdb_zpse25120f3.jpg
{photo source}

This bag caught my eye many moons ago, back when I was still struggling to sew in a straight line. Thankfully, I can now sew straight and follow a pattern. . . generally speaking. So, alas, I forked out the $8.50 for the pattern HERE {shhh-- don't tell the hubs} and dreamed of the day when I could find some cute fabric on sale.

Now it just so happens that I married a saint who, upon finding me diligently cutting out the pattern pieces for what seemed like hours, encouraged me to go to the fabric store that very day. . . while he sat in the car with Hannah.

Like I said. . . saint.

Many minutes later, I emerged from Hancock Fabrics with all of my supplies for a total of $28.00. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting, I'll be honest.

So, for a grand total of $36.50, I have a brand sew purse/diaper bag that should last many moons. And I have additional skills now, too. . . or so I like to tell myself.

 photo Finished_zps27126246.png

Here's a shot of the inside:

 photo Inside_zps1285d605.png


Now for a few tips for those who would like to make this big 'ol boy:

--If you're unfamiliar with fusible interfacing, THIS link may be helpful. My interfacing suggested trimming off 1/8" after tracing to reduce bulk, but now that I'm finished, I don't think it was really necessary. Judging by the pictures included in the tutorial, they didn't think it was necessary, either. Just do whatever you deem best and run with it.

--Unless you've got a very steady sewing machine hand, sewing two identical lines {for the top stitching} will present a unique challenge. I tried it for part of the bag and it worked out okay, but then I decided to use my double needle {that I'm usually too intimidated to use}. It makes it much faster and easier, but there's a catch. The double needle creates a zigzag on the backside, which happens to be quite noticeable on a project like this.

 photo NeedleExplanation_zpsa061effd.png

Now, when it comes time to sew on the straps, don't be daunted. I would be lying if I said it was easy... but only because there is NO margin for error since you're following a line that already exists. If you go slow and don't have a child trying to scale your leg, you'll be fine. :) I found this pin placement to be the most helpful. It keeps your strap from shifting and being sewn on crooked {trial and error, my friends}. It also keeps the head of the pin from being in the way of your machine foot.

 photo PinPlacement_zps3b3b4fb2.png
{And don't worry, I fixed the missing stitching there at the bottom :D}

However, don't do what I did and get so caught up in sewing on straps that you end up with this:

 photo WrongHandles_zpsf5e62031.png

See anything wrong?

Yeah. Those handles aren't supposed to be sewn over the opening like a rainbow, but rather side-by-side. You know, like an actual bag/purse. . . not a backpack. 

Whoops. I knew something looked funny!

Oh, well. It was easy enough to fix!

Now for a quick word on contrasting thread vs. matching thread. I liked the look of the contrasting thread until I remembered that you'll be able to see the stitching on the inside of the bag {where it's less pretty/doesn't belong}. Just keep that in mind if you have OCD and choose your thread color accordingly.


DIY Make-Up Remover Pads: Must

 photo 3d188d05ba3b808e90c660d7201a562c_zps10aceca1.jpg
{photo source}

This little gem was found over at "365ish Days of Pinterest" HERE. Up until this week, I was buying those Olay make-up remover wipe thingies. They were certainly nice and convenient, but as with most things nice and convenient, they were expensive.

Rather than spend $6.00 every 29 days, I decided to give this a whirl.

I guess I went a little crazy saturating my pads because I have to ring them out before I use them, but other than that, they work great! You can fill an entire pint jar with pads {like in the picture} and still have solution left over {hence my over-saturating because I thought I needed to use the whole thing}.

I don't bother to rinse my face after using the wipes and I haven't had a problem with a residue or dry skin or anything of the sort.

All in all, I would say this is definitely a keeper!

. . . .

Sorry this was such a long winded post! Hopefully it gave you some ideas if you were in need of a project or some cheap beauty products.

Until next time!

Comments

Popular Posts