Canaries with Gray on their Wings

Has anyone flipped open the June edition of the Ensign? I'm sure you all have, because let's face it... it's June 26th. I'm a little behind the times. I've just been so busy trying to read the conference Ensign that it's hard to read the subsequent editions at the same time... I know-- excuses, excuses, excuses. I'm not complaining, of course-- the more words of the Lord, the better! Bring it on! hahahaha!

Anyhow, the First Presidency Message for June is titled "Canaries with Gray on their Wings" and it is a beautiful message!! President Monson speaks about a dear little old lady who passed away in his ward while he was serving as bishop. She left behind 3 yellow canaries, one of which had gray on its wings and was considered "not very pretty". She told Pres. Monson before passing away that though it wasn't the most beautiful, its song was by far the best.

He goes on to teach that some of us are like the canaries with gray on our wings. We spend so much time comparing ourselves to other, more beautiful 'canaries', that we never allow ourselves the opportunity to sing. Your personal 'song' is just that-- yours. No one else can sing it. It's up to you. We need to take courage in the fact that Heavenly Father loves each one of us more than we can comprehend! Each of us is a child of God, and that's a fact. We are all created in his image, and He certainly doesn't make mistakes.

Does anyone out there really think they're insignificant?! It's not true! SO not true! Everyone has something unique to offer the world... Everyone. What's the point in comparing yourself to someone else when that person is COMPLETELY different? Nothing about you is the same except that you're both children of a loving, caring God... so why hold yourself up to them and think "Hmmmm... I'm not as smart as them." Or as pretty. Or graceful. Or talented. Be yourself and be proud of that.

And just remember, "The Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart" (I Samuel 16:7)

Elder Lynn G Robbins (of the Seventy) gave a talk titled "True Beauty" in the New Era (Nov. 2008, 30). Some of my favorite quotes from that (that are also listed at the end of President Monson's address) are:

  • "A young woman whose countenance is aglow with both happiness and virtue radiates inner beauty." [I would like to point out that you don't have to be so "young" for this to apply!]
  • "The virtuous smile is truly beautiful as it radiates in a totally natural way. This true beauty can't be painted on but is a gift of the Spirit." [So I guess what we all should do is dedicate more time to virtue/humility/honor and having the Holy Ghost with us instead of spending hours putting on makeup and fluffing our hair! hahaha!]
  • Speaking of a man seeking a virtuous woman, "He will be drawn to the true beauty she radiates from a pure and cheerful heart."
I know, without a doubt, that each woman is beautiful in the eyes of the Lord. And I know that it takes faith and courage to act as such when the world is screaming that we're ugly and untalented. But let's take a minute to think about this: Which is more beautiful? A gracious, caring, kind woman who lifts those around her and offers testimony in word and deed of that which is sacred and holy OR a crude, cold, malicious woman who degrades those around her with her snide remarks and sarcastic attitude towards that which is holy? The righteous woman could be poor as a church mouse and I think all of us would gladly spend time in her humble home than in the largest mansion with the second woman for even 5 minutes. But think about which one the world glamorizes!

Ladies (and gents)-- we must stay true to our divine nature. We are to comfort and nurture; uplift and strengthen. We shouldn't feel like we're less of a woman because we chose to do that instead of choosing to see how popular or trendy we can get. Those things don't last-- virtue does.

True beauty is about a LOT more than fitting in a size zero (who DOES that?! I think my leg could fit in a size zero and that's only until it hits my thigh :D) or seeing how little fabric you can dress in while out in public before being arrested.

I'm almost done, I promise, but I just have to leave you with one word of caution (if you will). I don't know about all of you ladies, but I decided long ago that I was going to work hard at being a righteous wife and mother and do everything in my power in that respect. Well, it didn't take long for Satan to twist my best intentions. He figured if he couldn't get me to be like the women of the world, he would turn my strength against me and let my desire for perfection tear me down. I remember e-mailing my sister, Kristy, distraught because I was having a hard time reconciling the ideal "perfect wife" and myself. I thought I'd be better at being a wife, and Satan didn't waste any time in telling me I was a complete failure as a result and should give up forthwith.

Her advice was:
  • "You have to relax and remember to breathe and, holy cow, stay close to the Lord. Oh, and forget (and I mean totally and completely forget) the whole notion of a "perfect wife" - you know the one. The chick in heels and a freshly ironed cotton dress, shaved legs and perfect coiffed hair. The one with lipstick, blush and pearl accessories. The one that vacuums so you can see the tracks in the carpet while her leg of lamb marinates in cranberry sauce in her spotless white kitchen. Yes, that one. She is fake. All of her. Everyone goes through the 'I'm not doing as good as I should be' slump - and you'll pull out of it - it's just another soft spot Satan uses to make you feel retarded and gimpy. But it's not true."
That made me laugh for about 20 minutes, and then it gave me the courage to be myself. I am who I am, and I'm doing the best I can. That's all any of us can do! Pretty sure our husbands wouldn't have proposed if they thought we weren't beautiful, talented, sweet, and supportive... and for all you single ladies, any man you date wouldn't date you if they didn't see what they were looking for.

"People are like stained glass windows-- true beauty can be seen only when there is light from within. The darker the night, the brighter the windows." (Elizabeth Kubler-Ross)

Comments

Popular Posts