Fishing, Anyone?

So my husband has ALWAYS bragged up the glory of a lake called Viva Naughton (I sure hope I spelled that semi-right...) up by Kemmerer, Wy. Yes, everyone, I said Kemmerer. Not Kemmer... that would be too easy. Kemmerer.

Anywhoo, that's not the important part.

Last Wednesday, Chuck and I, my father-in-law, John, and Chuck's coworker, Will and his son all piled into the truck and headed up to Wyoming for the best fishing trip of our lives. After 3 or so hours sitting in the middle seat of a Dodge Cummins (if anyone has ever done that... they know exactly what I'm talking about and how hard it is on a person's back. And feet. And legs. And neck.), I was about ready to die... but then we pulled up at the lake. Whew! Salvation!

Oh, no, my friends.

No sooner had we put the truck in park (heck-- it could have still been on its way to park!) then 253,820 little bugs began swarming around the truck. Mosquitoes, may flies, knats... every annoying bug on this green planet. Now, you have to understand that I do NOT like bugs. They bug me! hahahaha! I hate things buzzing around my face, and these bugs make a living at buzzing around people's faces. Grrreat.

I did nothing short of dip myself in bug spray and plopped down on my handy dandy little folding chair ($9 dollhairs at Wal Mart, folks. What a steal.). My husband and I had our lines in the water for probably 5 minutes when I noticed that we camped out in spider territory. My FAVORITE bug to hate. They climbed all up and down our poles, making nice little webs between the two. They climbed all up and down our legs, much to my utter distress. My hubby made me put on my big girl panties, however, and refused to relocate.

Well, I guess the Lord decided to avenge me ;) and my husband caught 0 fish the entire day. I caught 2, and had about 3 or 4 bites taunt me and then get away. I guess that's what I get by reading a book while trying to fish. Chuck would yell, "YOU GOT ONE!" and I would fling my book in the air and grab for my pole. By that time, the fish was probably half way across the lake, laughing at me.

I sipped my warm Diet Coke (practically feeling the aspartame start to embalm me on the spot) while Chuck worked on a solution to my little problem. He came back from Will's fishing box with a little bell to clip on the fishing line. The idea is that you can read or sleep, then your bell will ring when a fish grabs your line. Flawless, right? Well, that was until I got a hold of the poor thing. Chuck and another fisherman were standing behind me by the truck, talking about how fast it goes and how fast it overheats ;) when I heard my bell jiggle. I grabbed the pole and waited for another tug so I could set the hook. I thought I felt one, and didn't waste anymore time. I yanked the pole with such force, the bell flung off and vaulted about 20+ feet at the speed of sound and landed in the tall grass right behind my husband and his new friend.

"WHOA!" Chuck said, and his friend and I couldn't stop laughing. I felt like the world's biggest idiot, but if I'm good at anything, it's laughing at myself.

Suffice it to say, the fish that got away that time is probably STILL telling that story to all his fishy friends.

All in all, we got home sporting sunburns that would put a lobster to shame. So even if we didn't catch that many fish, we drove 6 hours round trip for some awesome sunburns and some mighty good laughs. =)

Comments

  1. ... I think I should get myself one of those handy dandy bells. Only I'm not reading, I'm just looking around at nature, or... trying to make Luke happy so Tyler can enjoy nature. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts