Must or Bust: Soup

Time for round 2!

If you read that title and found yourself scratching your noggin, click HERE to read all about the beginning of "Must or Bust".

Now that we're all on the same page, let me introduce you to this week's contestant.

. . . .

. . . . . .

. . . . . . . .


Wisconsin Cauliflower Soup

originally pinned HERE

When I saw this recipe floating out there on Pinterest, I immediately thought of my husband and his love for Zupa's cauliflower soup. Naturally, I pinned this bad boy to my list of "must tries", and I couldn't help but daydream of my husband showering me with gifts of European chocolate, flowers, and a new car as I carefully placed this on the table before him.

It was gonna be AWESOME.

Well. .  . the anticipated day arrived and I was going to surprise him with my mad culinary skills. One thing led to another, and before I knew it, it was 5:00 in the afternoon and we still needed to walk around the neighborhood and deliver a couple gifts to some sisters that I visit teach.

Some of you may say, "Oh, that's not so bad, Jessica! You could still make it and surprise him! It's only 5:00, after all."  I would wholeheartedly agree with you but for the fact that Chuck leaves for work at 6:45 pm. Having never made it before, I didn't want to risk starting it only to not be done in time for him to enjoy it.

Subway to the rescue! (they also happened to saved my bum HERE as well, bless their hearts.}

So. Moral of the story? There isn't one. Other than don't put off starting your surprise dinner until it's too late. :)  However, I did whip it up after he left and delivered some to him at work, so wipe away your tears, my friends.

. . . .

This recipe is definitely a MUST. Give it a whirl.

2 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk**
1 1/2 cups water**
1 can (13 3/4 to 14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
1 head (2 1/2 pounds) cauliflower, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
**Can substitute 1 can {12 oz} evaporated milk and 2 cups water for the 2 cups milk and 1 1/2 cups water.
In a large saucepan, melt margarine or butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until golden, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in flour and salt. Gradually stir in milk, chicken broth, and water.
Add cauliflower and heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 15 minutes.
In a blender (with center part of blender cover removed to allow steam to escape), blend cauliflower mixture at low speed in small batches until very smooth. {Don’t let this step deter you from making the soup! Blending it is really easy and so worth the extra 3 minutes. The most annoying part are the added dishes!} If you have an immersion blender, use it- it literally takes less than a minute to blend
Return cauliflower mixture to saucepan; heat over medium heat until hot, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in mustard and 1 1/2 cups cheese until melted and smooth. Serve soup with remaining cheese as a garnish.

. . . .

{Oh, and I promise all of my "Must or Bust"s won't be food related. Cross my heart and hope to die!}

I'm too lazy to type up the whole recipe when it's so neatly presented HERE, so I hope you don't hate me. But what kind of buddy would I be if I didn't give you a few pieces of advice?

1) If you hate the feeling of crumbs between your fingers like I do, then don't get too touchy-feely with the cauliflower. This was my first time working with the stuff, and it likes to crumble. Everywhere. And it likes to stick to your hands if they're slightly damp.

Just sayin'.

2) I followed the recipe exactly until it called for 'sharp cheddar cheese and pepper jack cheese'. I used colby jack and pepper jack instead and it worked out just fine.

3) Have another pot ready for when you're done blending the first batch of the soup. It takes more than one round to blend it all and you need somewhere to put the finished soup while you finish up with the rest.

Did that make any sense at all?

4) Unless you love spending an hour scrubbing dishes, I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend giving your dishes a good rinsing before sitting down to eat. I'm serious, guys. This stuff doesn't like to come off your pots unless it's rinsed off while the it is still fresh. And if, when you're doing the dishes, you find that you didn't rinse sufficiently, think fondly of me while you're scrubbing. Because I've been where you are, and I feel your pain. :)

. . . .

I hope you enjoy this week's MUST! And as always, if you come across a pin on Pinterest that you'd like me to give a whirl, be sure to let me know by posting a link below. I'm getting booked pretty fast, so hit a sister up and I'll file it away. :)

Comments

Popular Posts