Little Cottonwood Canyon

The other day, Chuck announced that he was in the mood to go hiking.

While I'm not opposed to a stroll through the woods, I'm not a huge lover of hurling my bulk up the side of a mountain and sliding down on my bottom. It's just not really high on my 'to do' list. . . I can't help it. And now that we have a nearly-9-month old baby girl, hiking lost that much more of its appeal.

However, Chuck researched around and found that Little Cottonwood Canyon is more of a 'hey-here-is-a-gloriously-simple-paved-parking-lot-that-practically-deposits-you-directly-at-your-campsite-so-you-can-hike-for-30-seconds-and-still-feel-like-you're-in-the-wilderness' kind of place.

Sign me up.

{the view of the cute stream from our picnic table (which you can see in the bottom left corner)}

{the waterfall. . . back in the bushes}
{she was having fun, I pinky promise! And I promise I try and contain her wild hair so she doesn't look homeless! :) }

The hubs whipped up a couple sandwiches and we were off. The sweet booth-toll lady must have liked us because she gave us the only campground directly by a waterfall/stream. It was absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I loved it. Chuck wanted to see if he could catch any fish, so he hiked off to try and find a suitable spot while Hannah and I hung out and tried to eat the picnic table. Well, one of us did. I won't name names.



After having no luck, Chuck and I decided to get a couple pictures with Hannah so we could prove that we actually went on family outings. "It would be really cool to get a picture with her right by the waterfall!" he said.



"Yeah..." I thought. "Except for the fact that you have to traipse through bushes higher than my head and climb over about 15,872 huge rocks housed in the middle of the river in order to get to the waterfall. . . " But he went off to scout out a suitable place anyway. He just wanted an adventure, I'm sure. . .

. . . and he got one.



It involved slipping on a rock and falling in the river. . .

{cute bum, where ya from?!}

So suffice it to say that we scratched the idea of taking our child out into the middle of the river. We settled, instead, for the middle of a stream.




And then, since we're rootin' for the "Parents of the Year" award, we did this. . . 





Please feel free to send that award by mail at your earliest convenience :)

{I promise she was safe in the middle of a stream by herself, as ironic and unbelievable as that sentence sounds. She wasn't goin' anywhere!}

. . . . . 

So that was our crazy McAllister Family Adventure for the month. I'll be sure to keep you in the loop if we decide to go sky diving or something! ;)

Comments

  1. What a fun little jaunt! I'm so glad there wasn't a flash flood while Hannah was chillin' in the stem haha, if you really think that is worse than me sending my kids swimming in the canal in their stroller then I'll relinquish the throne and send you the parent if the year award...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts