My Two-Cents: More Homemaking Tips

{click HERE for part 1}

As far as cleaning the house goes, I can't quite tell you how much I've enjoyed exploring the uses of vinegar, baking soda, and essential oil. I'm serious, you guys. They're like the dream team of the century! I don't think there's anything they can't do!

I got my motivation from Kelly over at "The Complete Guide to Imperfect Homemaking" {HERE}. I started on a search to find essential oil {not online since I didn't know what in the world I was doing}, and finally found some by complete coincidence at a little shop called Scentsations over in the Hogel Zoo area.

I settled on a mixture of lavender and tea tree oil {which has anti-bacterial properties} and LOVE it. I drop a tiny drop or two in my mop bucket of hot water with a big splash of vinegar and clean the entire kitchen and bathroom. Then I use the same water to mop the floors. {just be sure you're done using it for counter tops before you stick your nasty mop in it :D}.

I pinky promise, your house doesn't smell like vinegar forever. Especially if you use scented essential oil.

I cut down on spending money on paper towels by using a microfiber cloth {specific for glass} to clean all the glass in our house. I use a spray bottle full of vinegar to clean the inside of the toilet and it works like a charm {the spray bottle allows you to get it up under the rim of the toilet}. I use a soft cloth to dust, and baking soda and vinegar to unclog/de-smell sinks.

. . . . .


We live in a basement with limited light, so I enjoy pulling up the blinds during the day to let in as much sunshine as possible. It helps lift my mood considerably and it also makes me feel like I've been cleaning all day long ;)

I try to keep the kitchen sink clear of dishes. It really seems to keep me less frazzled. I'm one of those weird people that HATE dishes in the sink. I try reeeeally hard to rinse them off and put them in the dishwasher immediately {circumstances permitting}. It doesn't always happen, but I feel a ton better when I do!

Now, my lady friends, have you ever tried wearing an apron around the house? You'd be surprised what it does for your mood {an excellent quick little post about it is written by Amy of Homestead Revival HERE}. I have some aprons that I prefer to cook in, others I save for cleaning. Now that I'm not using bleach/harsh chemicals as often, I'm not nearly as diligent of keeping them separate {I just didn't like the idea of cooking in an apron that I used to clean the bathroom. ya know?!}. I usually end up wearing one all day and then throwing it in the wash after a couple of days. I feel extra homemakey/wifey/mom-ishy in a house apron :)

I'm a big fan of disposable kitchen rags that look something like this:

{source}

. . . only I don't throw them away unless they're ripped and useless. I just throw them in the washer and let them air dry and they're good as new! If I were smart, I'd just use washrags, but I prefer these because they're not as bulky.

. . . .

I try and treat cleaning and living on a snug budget like an adventure, because that's what it is! When I can clean my home cheaply and safely, it makes it a lot more fun! I love trying new things and seeing if they work {which could be why I started doing the Must or Bust} and discovering new things that work to help keep our food tasting fresh and delicious!

Last but not least, don't beat yourself up if you don't walk around with vinegar tied to your hip and plan your meals months in advance. No one is perfect, least of all me. We all do the best we can with what we have! The point is that we're all here to help each other figure out new ways to do the same old thing. If you would have told me two months ago that I would regularly clean my washing machine, sink, dishwasher, microwave, and floor boards, I would have laughed at you. For a reeeally long time. But since I can do it cheaply, quickly, and easily {SUPER easily}, I feel like I'm trying it for the first time each time.

I'm still working up the courage to clean my blinds {ug!} and my house is still constantly in at least some state of disarray thanks to a never-ending supply of dog hair, but I do the best I can and let the rest go!

I'm more than excited to hear any ideas you all have of easy, cheap, and safe ways you clean/cook for your home! I'm always willing to try something new!

Comments

  1. So how is it cheaper? Does it last longer? Or are the products just less expensive? Id be interested in saving money as our grocery bill can get PRETTY high. You also have a dog, what do you do for shedding and smell? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cheaper because the products I use are super cheap {baking soda and vinegar} and since you can guy in bulk, they also last longer. A little baking soda goes a long way, after all :) As far as shedding goes, I just vacuum. A lot. And it's not the perfect solution by any means, but it's all I've got. Baking soda is amazing at adsorbing smells from carpet and furniture, so I just sprinkle some on periodically and then vacuum it on up! I hope that helped a little bit. Keira just posted on her blog with links to an amazing site with free cleaning recipes. You should check it out!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts