Salt of the Earth


Yet again, here I am with a bunch of different thoughts bouncing around inside my head and I'm crossing my fingers that they come together in some sort of helpful, encouraging way.

. . . . .

In Sunday School today, I was having a really hard time concentrating. Does anyone else have those days, too? I sure hope so :) Despite that unfortunate fact, between trying to catch my kid as she hurled herself backwards on the floor {she's crazy, I tell ya!} and pouring out banana puffs to keep her quiet, I caught some profound words of wisdom.

There was mention of being the "salt of the earth" {Matt 5:13} in the lesson and a few people made wonderful comments. I wish I was one of them, but no. I was too busy trying to brainstorm ideas of how to tame my child's wild mane instead of actively participating like I should've been. I'll just paraphrase what they said and hope I sound as smart as them!

One man explained that you don't sit down for dinner and eat salt, but rather salt is used to accentuate the main course. It brings out the best in the food. So when we are trying to be the salt of the earth, we shouldn't be attempting to shine for our own glory, but rather for the glory of God and His Son.

Make sense?

Shortly thereafter, someone mentioned that when using salt in a meal, you don't need an awful lot of it. It makes its point just fine without needing the entire container dumped on your food. Folks who strive to be faithful Saints and keep the commandments in a world such as this are always going to be the minority.

The discussion then turned to how some "salty" people come off too strong. There are some who prefer less salt on their food than others {literally and figuratively}. As members of the Church, I know that we can sometimes give the impression of being annoyingly persistent when trying to convert others. Just like when someone uses too much salt and it scares you off from taking another bite, some members unknowingly give off the same impression. What I'm trying to point out here that some people might not be ready for everything you're trying to teach them. Take it slow and be patient.

{source}
. . . . .

I happened across a scripture in Doctrine and Covenants 84:106 that says, "And if any man among you be strong in the Spirit, let him take with him him that is weak, that he may be edified in all meekness, that he may become strong also."

I loved that! It's so true, too. Sometimes I think each of us feel like we could use a hand as we strive to do what is right. We all have times when we need to be taught and edified by someone who is 'strong in the Spirit' and renew our determination. We need to be mindful of those around us who may be struggling, and we also need to recognize when our own struggles become too much for us to bear without the help of friends, neighbors, and family. We don't need to be ashamed of asking for help. . . but I think most of us are. We may see it as a sign of weakness, when in reality, it's merely a sign of humanity.

President Uchtdorf  poignantly said in this {October} Ensign, "None of us is without sin. Every one of us makes mistakes, including you and me. We have all been wounded. We all have wounded others. . . In the end, happiness does not spring from perfection but from applying divine principles, even in small steps."

Even the "salt of the earth" desperately needs the Atonement to keep from remaining tarnished and "good for nothing" {3 Nephi 12:13}. Through His sacrifice, we can change all of our weaknesses and make them strengths. Our struggles and burdens will be made light, and that I know from personal experience. We don't need to be frightened of what may come, because the Lord has overcome the world. He is aware that each of us is doing the best we can, and He appreciates it more than we comprehend.

Every time we chose to act as salt when we could have chosen differently, Heavenly Father notices. . . even when others around us may not.

Don't give up! Keep doing what you know is right and good, and rest easy in the knowledge that you're not alone. You are surrounded by people who want the best for you and will help you when you need it.  All you have to do is ask!

Comments

Popular Posts