The Allure of Sin and the Purpose of Faith


I was having a hard time falling asleep last night because I just couldn't shut off my brain. I'm sure there are many of you out there that can sympathize with me :) When I get like that, my brain starts thinking up all sorts of weird and random things that make perfect and logical sense then, but seem somehow flawed when I'm functioning on more than 3 brain cells.

I'm hoping that when I finish writing this post, I haven't confused the tar out of anyone; including myself.

. . . . .

My original thought train deposited me on the subject of sin. Why do we sin? Why in the world would we choose to do something, oftentimes deliberately, that we knew was wrong? Are we bored? Do we forget how truly happy and content we are shuffling along on the straight and narrow path and think we need to liven things up with a little danger and risk?

I believe that Satan makes certain sins for every person that look very appealing and harmless, but if anyone has ever committed those said sins, they realize that it's all a big hoax. Sin is never harmless, and when it's all said and done, it's never really appealing either. So why do we ever relapse back into believing the lies whispered in our ear?

Do we think something has changed?

In Alma 41:3 {in the Book of Mormon}, we learn that "wickedness never was happiness."

BAM. Simple as that. And that was written how many thousands of years ago? And it's still true today. Sin never changes. Satan has had eons to perfect his methods and can thereby deposit the perfect package on our own personal doorsteps that scream "Open me! I won't hurt you."

{source}


But even knowing the truth, I think each of us still have those packages that we rip open on occasion.  The wrapping paper just looks too good to pass up, and we somehow believe that this time will be different. Somehow, consequences won't find us or our conscience won't let out a howl.

Does it ever work that way?  No, not really.

I know that, personally, when I sin and make mistakes, I end up saying to myself, "What was I thinking?! Why did I think that this was going to bring me any more happiness than what I already had? By doing this, I just forfeit who-knows-how-many blessings that would have been granted by a loving Heavenly Father if I had just chosen to do something else with my time."

Thankfully, there is always the Atonement of Jesus Christ that allows us to be forgiven of our {for lack of a better word} stupidity.  Heavenly Father understood that we would make mistakes and need something to satisfy the demands of justice, so He sent His Son to earth to live and die for us and perform the Atonement. It's such a beautiful thing that it often seems too good to be true.

Can we really be forgiven? Can we really hope to reenter the presence of an Almighty God and live there with Him forever?

I know so. Of course, each of us has to come to a conclusion by his or herself, but I personally feel confident that all can be well again, despite near-constant faux pas on my end.  

. . . . .

Right before I drifted off to have a really weird dream about being crammed into a teeny-tiny office with all of my old co-workers, my thoughts strolled over to the subject of faith. After all, what is repentance without faith, right?

I was thinking about why the Lord thought it necessary to try our faith. Why couldn't He just appear to us periodically to keep us motivated?

Here's one of those obvious times where, when back to being fully functioning, I laugh at my thought process. I see why that couldn't happen, and why the Lord has to test our faith.

But last night, I took a lot more time coming to that conclusion. I started to think of the Nephites in the Book or Mormon. They had many, many signs and miracles that should have strengthened their faith for the rest of their lives. For some, it did. For most, however, their faith wavered after only a brief stint on the side of stalwart-ness.

Yeah, stalwart-ness. It's a word today. Don't be a hater.

If Heavenly Father disregarded the very point and purpose of faith and came down to earth every 100 years or so and signed autographs, how many people would still remain faithful? Would some of us be like the Nephites and still manage to fall back into the ho-hum grind of placidity in practically no time at all? Would we be quick to forget the autograph and allow it to get buried by countless bills, magazines, and dust?

It's interesting to think about.

No matter what, there will be some who think that it's just too much work to keep the faith; signed autograph or not. No matter what, there will be some who mock those who treasure their faith and try to do what's right. It has always been that way, and it always will be. What we each have to decide is which side we'll be on.

And just remember, that just because you may decide to keep the faith, that doesn't mean you'll never mess up. That doesn't mean that Satan won't sometimes entice you to do something foolish with his cleverly wrapped packages of sin. That doesn't mean you won't ever wonder if you're strong enough to keep going and endure to the end.

But you are.

You are as long as you allow the Lord to help you. We can't do it alone, and when we try, we inevitably fail. Inevitably, my friends. . . it's just a matter of time. So don't be shy-- get to know your Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and listen to their counsel. Walk with your hand in theirs and Satan will never come off conqueror. I promise!

Comments

  1. AMEN, sista! What a great thought process, and it's sooo good to write down the process so you can study it over and over again later. I love journals for that reason. :)

    Paraphrasing apostles and prophets, Satan will always appeal to our appetites, I believe, and that's why it's so easy to fall. Better to appeal to normal, natural, instinctual appetites than try to plant in us artificial ones. And that's what makes it so appealing.

    But just as gravity makes stronger bones and pressure creates diamonds in physical laws, so do we need spiritual refinement through resistance to the draws of this world. The truest form of it being, in every way, opposed to or restraining the natural man and being subject to God's law. It will be the only thing that separates us from animals (or worse, the devil)--we all have the inclination to react and defend, and even get revenge, but we subdue, conquer, bridle and restrain. God is omnipotent because He has taken the time and patience to learn. He is in control of time because He has been subject to it, and overcame it. He is eternally patient because He has endured pain and hardship while turning the other cheek. And so will we, one day. :)

    Best of luck to us both as we struggle! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts