Eat Me!

Dear peeps,

I just want to share another little meal with you. Everything that I'm about to list is way yummy. And quite simple. And those are two of my favorite things. {extra points to anyone who just started humming "A Few of My Favorite Things"}

First off? The main course, humbly named 'The Best Pot Roast Ever'.

"Well?" you may find yourself asking. "Was it really the best pot roast ever?" I would have to say, "Probably. And if not the best, definitely worth the ingredients. It's certainly the best I've ever made thus far in my existence."

I originally found the recipe here, in case you were wondering.

The Best Pot Roast Ever






2-5 lb roast (any kind works. I used a rump roast)
1 envelope ranch dressing
1 envelope Italian dressing (found at the store by the ranch dressing packets)
1 envelope brown gravy mix (I didn't have this, so I used a packet of 'Beef Stew' mix. . .  I think. Really helpful, I know.)
Carrots and potatoes (and onions!)
1 to 1 1/2 c. water

Cut up your veggies to your liking and put them in the bottom of your crock pot. I would suggest searing your meat to help keep in the moisture {just heat up a skillet/pan on the stove with some olive oil in it. Let each side of the roast sit on the hot skillet for a few seconds until it turns brown}, then plop it on top of the veggies. Sprinkle all 3 of the packets evenly on top, and then add your water.

Cook on low for 6-10 hours (I only cooked mine for about 4 1/2 hours on low and it was fine. . .). Stuff your face.

Next up? The dinner rolls.

These rolls are amazing. At least, I think so. And the hubs. And the in-laws. :)

Part of what makes them so amazing is that they're so simple and quick! {well. . . as quick as making bread from scratch can be with 'raise time' and whatnot.}

This recipe comes from my handy dandy 'Mormon Pantry: Cooking for Two' recipe book. So, alas, the picture I've uploaded isn't really legit, but, the resemblance is close enough to count! :)

Heavenly Dinner Rolls




1/2 c. warm water
2 t. yeast
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. milk
1 egg, well beaten
1 t. salt
2 1/2 cups flour

In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar to yeast (the sugar will help activate the yeast). Melt butter. Stir milk in to melted butter. Add the milk mixture, egg, and salt to yeast. Stir in enough flour to make a stiff dough (I think I end up using close to 3 1/2 or more cups instead of 2 1/2 cups). Knead 5-7 minutes on a floured surface. Place in greased bowl and put in a warm place to rise (cover it so it doesn't dry out). Let rise about 30 minutes. Punch dough down. Shape rolls (I usually end up with around 14-16 rolls). Place in warm area and let rise 30 more minutes.

Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Place on a cooling rack and brush butter over the top (I skipped the last step because I forgot :) and they were still yummy). One more trick that works for me {and my oven} is that after 12 minutes, I shut off the oven but leave the rolls inside for a few extra minutes. That way, they still get a little extra 'cook time' so the middles aren't doughy but without over-browning the tops. And they also stay warm, which is a plus.

Lastly? A little simple, old-school sugar rush.

I remember making these bad boys in junior high cooking class and thinking I was the bomb.com because I didn't ruin them.

This particular recipe is found here.

Cheerio Treats 



1 c. sugar
1 c. corn syrup
1 c. creamy peanut butter
1 t. vanilla
5 c. cheerios

In a large saucepan, combine sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Allow mixture to boil for one minute and remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add cheerios until blended (I would suggest measuring out your cheerios into mixing bowl and then pouring the peanut butter mixture on top instead of trying to mix it all in your saucepan. Oh, and by the way, I only had about 2 cups of cheerios, so I just substituted the rest with some rice krispie cereal I happened to have. Worked like a charm). Spoon onto wax paper and allow to cool (tin foil works pretty good, too, if you're lame like me and don't have wax paper). Makes approx 2 dozen.

I hope ya'll enjoy your meal!

Comments

Popular Posts