"It Is Better To Look Up"

Brace yourself. Here comes some more of "Jessica's Late-Night-Study-Session-Fueled-Ramblings" all about another Ensign article. I know they're your favorite.

This one is based on the address titled "It Is Better To Look Up". It happens to be found in the November issue of the Ensign, just like this one.  It's written by a member of the Quorum of the Seventy, Elder Carl B. Cook. He starts out by telling the story of how he was feeling overwhelmed at the end of his first week as a General Authority. I totally don't blame him. Anywho, he was on his way down in the elevator, staring forlornly at the floor tiles, when another person boarded the elevator. Long story short, it was President Thomas S. Monson and he counseled this poor man that "It is better to look up!" instead of down.

I have had more instances than I care to publicly admit where I have wanted to do nothing but wade around in my very own pity pool. There was a very long stretch of time where I never even bothered to remove my figurative arm floaties because I ended up in the pity pool so often. In fact, I'm sure the skin on my fingers started to prune. Suffice it to say, I had a hard time being content with my situation. I was, like Elder Cook, too busy looking down at the floor. I like to tell myself that I'm not the only one that ever feels overwhelmed and overloaded; discontent and agitated.

Elder Cook says, "Experience has taught me that if we, like President Monson, exercise our faith and look to God for help, we will not be overwhelmed with the burdens of life. We will not feel incapable of doing what we are called to do or need to do. We will be strengthened, and our lives will be filled with peace and joy. We will come to realize that most of what we worry about is not of eternal significance-- and  if it is, the Lord will help us. But we must have the faith to look up and the courage to follow His direction."    

All we need to do is remind ourselves to look up. Don't stare at your feet and focus so much on what's right in front of you that you miss out on what the Lord is trying to teach you or where He's trying to lead you.

This topic reminds me a lot of the "grass is always greener" complex. We get so caught up in the issues of our current situations that we soon start to slobber over someone else's life. "After all," we think, "they don't even HAVE any problems. Their life is so perfect."

Heh.

Of course, we all know the moral to that story. You hop the fence and find out that the grass isn't actually greener on the other side. . . It has weeds and mole-hills that were previously unseen. Suddenly, your grass isn't looking so bad after all.

Elder Cook continues, "President Monson's encouragement to look up is a metaphor for remembering Christ. As we remember Him and trust in His power, we receive strength through His Atonement. It is the means whereby we can be relieved of our anxieties, our burdens, and our suffering. It is the means whereby we can be forgiven and healed from the pain of our sins. It is the means whereby we can receive the faith and strength to endure all things." 


I testify that what he says is true. I've seen the power of the Atonement work miracles in my own life many, many times. As we have the faith to turn to Him for help, He will reach out to us. All we have to do is look up! Pray diligently. Study the scriptures and the words of the Prophets with the intent to learn and to receive His assistance. I promise, promise, promise He will help you. He may not take away your burdens entirely, but He will lighten them to where you don't even feel them anymore. But He can't do that if you're too busy studying the sidewalk cracks and looking to other sources for your aide.

"In order to be guided in life's journey and have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, we must have a 'hearing ear' and a 'seeing eye', both directed upward.", Elder Cook advises. "We must act on the direction we receive. We must look up and step up. And as we do, I know we will cheer up, for God wants us to be happy.


"We are Heavenly Father's children. He wants to be a part of our lives, to bless us, and to help us. He will heal our wounds, dry our tears, and help us along our path to return to His presence. As we look to Him, He will lead us." 


"I am he; yea, I am he that comforteth you." (2 Nephi 8:12)

"Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest." (Joshua 1:9)

We are not left to fend for ourselves along this often-times discouraging journey of life. Of course, if you find yourself feeling that you are left to fend for yourself, you're not alone. :) I know I've felt alone before, despite knowing otherwise. But we have to remember that Satan is a selfish, unruly sort of chap that wants to deflate our arm floaties and watch us drown in our pity pool. He wants us to forget that we are beloved, unique, irreplaceable children of our Father in Heaven. He really wants us to forget that Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father love us more than our finite minds can comprehend.  He desperately tries to fill us with doubts and tries to keep us from looking up. So don't be sad if you're sad. Don't let Satan convince you that it's pointless to look up. It's not.

Comments

  1. I find it interesting that God sends little Angels to blog.. so that I can read what he wants me to know :) You're a Angel. I needed this. The last month I have been in a little battle with either giving up or keep going... in certain items of my life (not life in general) ;) and this was good motivation to keep moving forward and continue with what I am doing :P Thanks Jess.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts