My Good Ideas Know No End. . .

I've had a streak of good ideas today.

The first good idea came to me early this morning when I received a phone call from an unknown number. Seeing how I'm weird and HATE answering the phone when I don't know who to expect on the other side, I let it go to voice mail.

Come to find out, it was a lady calling for more information about the violin lessons I teach. She has two kids who have taken previously, but their teacher is stopping in order to be a full-time mom.

Well, for those who don't know, I stopped teaching when I had Miss Mae and I haven't started up again. There are a few reasons as to why, but first and foremost on the list is that my kid is woefully unpredictable and demanding. Combine that with the lack of husband-ary babysitting support thanks to his cooky work schedule, and you have a recipe for "interesting" violin lessons. I have already milked the good graces of all around me by having them watch Hannah on a fairly regular basis, and so I don't want to mooch off of them even more.

. . . . .

I keep having flashes of lessons such as these:

1) I plop Hannah in her swing in the bedroom, shut the door, and teach a fabulous lesson in the living room (well within hearing distance, seeing how our apartment has one bedroom), thereby awakening and polishing the talents of a one-day-famous violinist. ;) Hannah plays gleefully and quietly with her toys for the duration of the lesson.

HA! I know, right?

2) I plop Hannah in her swing in the bedroom, shut the door, and five minutes later, have to leave the living room to replace the binky and plead with her to PLEASE play with her toys. Five minutes after that, I repeat the cycle. Five minutes after that. . . you get the picture. I don't accomplish anything of consequence during the lesson, and feel horrible for even charging the poor kid. Shortly after the student leaves, Hannah falls asleep.

Perfect timing.

. . . . .

I can see either scenario playing out to some extent, and that's what worries me. Scenario number 2 has me sweating bullets.

However, despite that fact, I agreed to meet with the lady from the phone call and her two kids this coming week to see if "it's a good fit". I'm hoping that my eagerness to start teaching again doesn't come back to haunt me.

So maybe my first good idea wasn't so good after all.

. . . . . .

Good idea number 2 came to me shortly thereafter. I have someone in my ward who requested the recipe I have for some peanut butter cookies, and so I copied it down and made plans to walk it over to her house.

"Oh, that will be perfect!" I thought. "It'll be a good excuse to go for a walk, and I can kill some time while I'm at it."

I decided on the homicide of the afternoon at 1:30 pm. I should have planned to kill time later in the evening. . . say, when it's not 5,000 degrees outside. And, of course, this sister's house is a whole bunch closer when driving in a car.

Have you ever noticed in vivid detail how many hills there are from POINT A to POINT B when you're walking, whereas you never noticed any incline while driving?

Yeah.

There are some gnarly hills coming back from her house, the worst of which is my own driveway. Seriously. My driveway is insane. Also, there are approximately 3 trees that shade the sidewalk from here to there. That's it.

Hannah, on the other hand, was having the time of her life, nicely shaded from the sun and blistering heat {which I am very grateful for!}.

It was all I could do not to start panting and laying under someone's sprinklers. When I got home, I threw decency to the wind and rolled my pants up as high as they could go {which is about to my knee :D} and thought seriously about dunking my head under the kitchen faucet.

Next time, I'll plan all similar good ideas for after the sun has lost some of its vigor.

. . . . .

So, yeah. My good ideas so far in the day lead me to believe that I'd better quit while I'm ahead. :)

Comments

  1. Love it. I'm having the same stress trying to teach piano again.... Just when it's time to teach, I just know Lily will have a meltdown, get hungry, or need nap. I guess we'll just have to laugh as we go! And it IS 5000 degrees outside. I went for a walk today, too, and made it for about 5 minutes before coming back in. ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's just fabulous knowing we're not alone :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts